• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MiD

Window Problem

MiD

Went out this morning to retro fit electric windows. Even had an extra pair of hands to hold the glass up when I changed winders. Unfortunately the glass seems to be stuck in the bottom runner and I cannot free it off.

Is this because of rust/age/ dampness or is the rubber at the bottom and the metal plate glued/crimped in. There is not much room to work and I'm reluctant to give it a big whap in case I break the glass.

steve@cornwall
Went out this morning to retro fit electric windows. Even had an extra pair of hands to hold the glass up when I changed winders. Unfortunately the glass seems to be stuck in the bottom runner and I cannot free it off.

Is this because of rust/age/ dampness or is the rubber at the bottom and the metal plate glued/crimped in. There is not much room to work and I'm reluctant to give it a big whap in case I break the glass.

I think the glass is bonded to the runner (assumed so and never tried to remove)

Why do you want to remove it? The new mechanism's rollers should slide into it

MiD

I must be doing something wrong somewhere as I lowered the window but could find no way of getting the mechanism away from the window.

I've read every thread relating to replacing windows/ winders and cannot for the life of me figure out what I'm doing wrong. Obviously I've assumed wrongly that the bottom strip had to be removed. If not then I presume I lower the window loosen the mechanism then wiggle it.

Mmm have to go to work now but it looks as if I'm out there agaiin tomorrow. Thanks for the reply you have just confirmed I'm not going mad just stupid!

Richie-Van-GTi

undo the 5 or 6 10mm nuts on the door, with the window half down. Push the mechanism in so its no longer attached to the door then jiggle it free of the bottom runners. Just like haynes says, refitting is reverse of removing. BTW, IIRC the black regulator is the drivers side one.

Sign in to follow this