• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Alastairh

Fabric Glue In A Can?

Alastairh

Hello.

Fabric glue in an aresole can, for seats, carpets and vinyl.

I remember being some on the market a few years back at a show. But can't think where to get any.

Any ideas?

Alastair

sonofsam

Ambersil ! The old man was a upholster enthusiast :)

trogboy

Halfrauds sell it. In my local one it is kept with the acoustic fabric in the part of the store that has all of the stereos and aftermarket car accessories etc.

Richie-Van-GTi

How effective is the stuff from halfrauds? I wouldnt mind recovering my 306 roof with speaker cloth.

trogboy

I couldn't say as I have never bought any - Sorry. I just noticed it when I was considering using some black acoustic cloth to cover my faded parcel shelf as I can't find a decent black one.

aeinstein
How effective is the stuff from halfrauds? I wouldnt mind recovering my 306 roof with speaker cloth.

it works reasonably well, as long as you follow the instructions.

btw i use staples to hold the cloth while the glue goes off when making a stealth shelf or similar, not sure how well just the glue would hold fabric on the roof. (inside, i assume? :) )

it might start to sag after a while.

al

sutol
it might start to sag after a while.

al

I once used it to fix sound deadening foam inside the roof of my Mini, I've used it to fix leathercloth to the new full dash in my racer and loads of other things

Keep it clean and follow instructions and it's great.

Use latex gloves btw :)

Richie-Van-GTi

Thanks, might have to buy a can and do a test piece somewhere.

Trogboy have you though about spraying the shelf?

mi16nut

You'd probably get something cheaper at Wickes or similar.

damien

i used the halfords one to hold a roof lineing up and its still there after a year

Super Josh

B&Q, Homebase etc. all sell it.

Josh

Paintguy

Or try your local carpet barn / carpet warehouse / whatever. They usually have tins full of the stuff :D

What are you using it for? If it's for absorbent materials, like carpet, then you're better off spraying it onto both surfaces, letting it go off for a minute or two, then sticking together.

If it's for non-absorbent materials, like vinyl, then make sure you leave the glue to dry for a good length of time before sticking together. If not, the solvents trapped in the glue behind the vinyl will eventually attack it and send it 'funny', or it'll just peel off.

Edited by Paintguy

Sign in to follow this