• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
vern

Air Intake In Wheel Arch

vern

I have fitted a BMC filter to my TT and the easiest way to "fresh air", is to have the intake into the wheel arch area near the battery tray.

Is this a good place to put it?, any comments about placement good or bad.

acox99

I would think that it would pick up a lot of road dirt if you did do that so you would have to change the filter a lot. I would advise trying to find somewhere else if possible.

jim205GTI

Plus you would have to be wary of puddles.........son't want water being sucked up!!!

There was a renault which had its air in take low down and bacame notrious for flooding the engine when driven through a puddle.......... can't remember which one though :D

mitch205gti

Doesn't it f**k your engine if it sucks water in, hydraulic lock or something like that!

acox99
Doesn't it f**k your engine if it sucks water in, hydraulic lock or something like that!

Yes it does, the reason is that water is a liquid and therefore does not compress, where as gas does so if the cylinder fills with water it will not compress and is basically the same as the piston hitting a brick wall, which tends not to do it much good. It can bend the conrods too, and a lot more, so you would need to replace them, if you kept running it after getting the water out there is a big chance of the conrod snapping and being thrown through the block which isn't healthy at all. Not advisable to find out though.

Edited by acox99

Henry Yorke
Plus you would have to be wary of puddles.........son't want water being sucked up!!!

There was a renault which had its air in take low down and bacame notrious for flooding the engine when driven through a puddle.......... can't remember which one though :D

I killed the engine in a nearly new Citroen ZX Turbo Diesel by doing this. Bent valves the works. It had a new engine fitted as opposed to it being fixed.

You run the risk of possibly locating the intake in a low air pressure area in the wheel arch as the spinning of the tyre may suck air out. The best place is in the lower front grille where there is high air pressure

sonofsam

As said, its bad idea, fog light apertures are the best place thats where im planning on some vents, or through the bonnet!

vern

Well that killed that idea thanks for input guys.

But surely the foglight aperture would be lower than where I was going to put pipe, and would run a greater risk of sucking in water/dirt.

GLPoomobile

As I have said many times before, older Honda Civics and the Integra have the OE airbox mounted at the base of the bumper in front of the wheel. I have NEVER heard of any of them suffering hydraulic lock, nor any of the ones who have had the airbox removed and an induction filter put in place.

It all comes down to design. Although the filter is mounted low down at the front, there is obviously something about the way Honda designed it so that it doesn't suck up water.

Guest Ray205S16
As I have said many times before, older Honda Civics and the Integra have the OE airbox mounted at the base of the bumper in front of the wheel. I have NEVER heard of any of them suffering hydraulic lock, nor any of the ones who have had the airbox removed and an induction filter put in place.

It all comes down to design. Although the filter is mounted low down at the front, there is obviously something about the way Honda designed it so that it doesn't suck up water.

This is how i have made my air flow. (in my 205S16)

I have an carbon airbox, where the battery used to be and i've made an hole

of 60mm behind where the window wash resevior used to be and put the

hose through it and then made a hole of 60mm next to the right fog light.

If you put your hand in front of the hole and flip the throttle, your hand is sucked against

the hole. ;)

grtz, Raymond

Edd-XS

Or............

You could get some morettes and knock a lense out ;)

(nearly done now sam! Will roll by when its running with a 4 pack for you!)

Edd

vern

I already have the twin headlights but would rather keep all lights to help with seeing in the dark ;) .

sonofsam
Or............

You could get some morettes and knock a lense out B)

(nearly done now sam! Will roll by when its running with a 4 pack for you!)

Edd

kronenbourg please Edd ;) Just got myself some TH's too, still a bit ;) wether to fit.

Vern if you want something custom spun, drop me a PM, may be able to help ;)

vern

Do not know what to do now?. Will probably run pipe through wheel arch and out through the bottom of the front headlight panel, but this is obviously increasing the length of the intake pipe.

Thanks for offer sonofsam.

sutol

Had a similar problem with Mini intake once and when I dug into literature on the subject I learned this interesting fact;-

'Car traveling at 100 mph with intakes facing forwards into airflow will still have no ram effect from the resultant headwind unless some sort of air collector is employed'.

Now you could argue that modern cars are slower reving and so shift less air at 100 mph and would therefore submit to ram air effects.

The Mini was at 6000rpm at 100 mph and so I double skinned the bonnet, put vents in the front and chanelled the air into the carb.

Result....no significant difference, could be the colder denser air gave it that little extra I but didn't experiment further.

Need someone who understands under bonnet pressures to tell us how to persuade the intake to suck air in from the higher pressure outside, although having said that, F1 cars have the intake up in the air stream. F1 cars don't have an under bonnet problem.....

What is the answer ??? :D

max0

I've seen a few rallycross cars with a similar setup. They also use intakes to help cool the brakes but they are about 600bhp and run flat out for a very short time.

edit they tend to run the radiators in the back due do mud etc flying up.

Edited by max0

sutol
I've seen a few rallycross cars with a similar setup. They also use intakes to help cool the brakes but they are about 600bhp and run flat out for a very short time

Cooling ducts for bakes is always a good idea as air will be rammed in onto the caliper/disc but the motor in theory will be sucking more air in than a ram effect can supply.

I used the foglamp holes on the Clio Williams to duct air to the brakes with great effect :D

sonofsam
DVC00288kk.jpg:D

sutol
DVC00288kk.jpg:D

Bit chavvey but a good effort

post-9302-1169243986.gif

No offence

Edited by sutol

sonofsam
;):lol::lol: WTFever.

Guest BrainFluid

Regarding the fear of water getting in though a low front inlet point...I have a feeling that it may well depend on the shape / direction that the ait hose travelles after the point of inlet.

With the inlet point down at the fog lamp area I imagine there is a steep incline that the water would have to travel up to be able to get into the engine.

Catch my drift?

bales
DVC00288kk.jpg;)

Where did you get those from Sam? I would like something like that to go in the foglight aperture but didn't know whether anyone made any.

sonofsam

I made them @ work mate B)

DSC00004inlet.jpg

Eccosse sell something similar that are made to fit, but they are about 50 notes!

Gtiracer

try about 75-80 per pair!

Sign in to follow this