• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest mg3

1.9l Mi16 Looking For Rwd Gear Box - Ideas ?

Guest mg3

I have a spare alu Mi16 and I am starting the process of building a Lotus Seven replica.

I was told a gearbox from a 505 will bolt up to my Mi16.

Any other ideas ?? I would like to use a Getrag BMW e36 box as I am going with a full e36 ind rear. I guess I will have to custom fabricate a bellhousing.

Any input is greatly appreciated !!

Ryan

The 505 never used the XU-series engine so I doubt the gearbox would fit easier than any other. Some LDV vans used the XUD diesel engine and were RWD but the ratios are probably unsuitable.

Best bet is to use either the BMW box, or a Ford Type 9 (sierra), and either get a bellhousing made, or an adaptor plate so you can bolt the existing bellhousing to the engine.

Anthony

There were a few vans that were XUD engine powered and RWD, so the box from one of these would suffice I'd imagine - it was discused a while back so I can't remember exactly what you're after, but possibly a Sherpa van IIRC?

There was a mid-engined Mi kit car a while back that used an Audi 80 gearbox from memory, but no idea how much fabrication was required as I'm pretty sure it doesn't bolt straight on.

jonnie205

You can buy a bellhousing off the shelf which mates to a ford type 9 box. The type 9 is what everybody uses and you can get all sort of gearkits, dog engagement kits and quife do a sequential kit too.

whizzer71

The FSO Polonez used the XUD engine in RWD setup,Im not sure but I think the TATA Pick does also?. :P

:)

B1ack_Mi16
There was a mid-engined Mi kit car a while back that used an Audi 80 gearbox from memory, but no idea how much fabrication was required as I'm pretty sure it doesn't bolt straight on.

I once tried to mate a bare XU9J4 block to a FWD Audi 80 box.

Bolt-holes seemed to line up correct, and also input-shaft seemed to be in the correct position to make it all work.

Only problem I think I saw was about mounting startermotor, guess some fabrication/modifications are needed to make that work.

Guest davetibbs

This is something I was looking at as a possibility for making a RWD 405 with the 2.0 8v turbo I have in the front. I notice the (don't laugh) TATA Loadbeta came with Peugeot XUD engines for a while and were RWD so I guess the gear ratios would be far more favourable than a Sherpa van - also the wheelbase of the TATA is 13cm longer than the 405 which could mean easy adapting.

However, the information on TATAs is few and far between - some people say it had the XUD engine fitted, indeed in my web trawls I've seen owners on TATA forums refer to them as XUD engines, but other websites state that TATA (in India) built a copy of the Peugeot engine.

I guess I need to find out (photo would be best, or maybe access to an actual Loadbeta) if it's a genuine XUD engine (and also genuine Peugeot RWD gearbox) or if it's Indian built - I've been to India not that long ago and I'm not sure an Indian copy of a French gearbox would stand up to much stick!

The other RWD car that had a Peugeot XU engine in was the FSO Polonez, but we'll gloss over that - doubt there are any still in existence anyway!

Malachy
The other RWD car that had a Peugeot XU engine in was the FSO Polonez, but we'll gloss over that - doubt there are any still in existence anyway!

youve never been to eastern europe then, my girlfriend is polish and we pop over there regularly to visit her family, Warsaw/olzstyn/gdansk and krakow (the main cities) at least 1 in 5 cars are fso polonez or fiat 126's

however the shipping costs im not sure on

boombang

Far Eastern 405 - isn't that RWD?

welshpug

yup, though I dont know much more about them bar the fact that they are still produced, My brother has looked into the so i'll see if he has any more info.

Sign in to follow this