• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest SeanT

Mi16 Cutting Out

Guest SeanT

Guys,

My Mi16 has progressively got worse in violently cutting out on acceleration, it usually happens around the 4k mark, it started off happening every now and then if i suddenly put my foot down in a low gear, but now seems to happen all the time......

Any ideas or anyone had this issue themselves???

Thanks

C_W

Symptoms point towards the ignition amplifier but I've had similar problems with mine in the past where the coil had a crack in it and was arcing.

Othertime it had a misfire that only presented itself when it was hot and this turned out to be the rotor arm (which wasn't very old).

If it's dark you can usually see if the coil is arcing.

I would say either the amplifier or rotor arm.

Guest SeanT

Thanks Guys, just had a new coil put on a couple of months ago, Ill have to try and source a spare ign amp....and Ill get a new arm and cap after...

Any other ideas?

Symptoms point towards the ignition amplifier but I've had similar problems with mine in the past where the coil had a crack in it and was arcing.

Othertime it had a misfire that only presented itself when it was hot and this turned out to be the rotor arm (which wasn't very old).

If it's dark you can usually see if the coil is arcing.

I would say either the amplifier or rotor arm.

Lillpete

How old are your HT Leads?? could be they're simply breaking down.

Ahl
How old are your HT Leads?? could be they're simply breaking down.

As said. Make sure you have a look at the engine running while its dark - you'd be daft not to.

petert

I've had the plug lead insulators break down in the cylinder head plug wells.

kyepan

if it is cutting out violently on hard acceleration it might be inertia based, try opening your box with the tacheometric relays in when the car is just idling and wiggleing them and their associated connections about, if it starts cutting out. Mine was cutting out when going over bumps, we located the relay connector block and just rewired it with new connectors, problem solved.

Sign in to follow this