• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GazRallye

Induction/air Filter Recommendations

GazRallye

I was just wondering what people might recommend?

Some pics of any homemade chopped ones would be interesting to see

Did you see any gains in what you used or does it just give out more noise?

Cheers

welshpug

what application? 8v stick with the original airbox, 16v, get whatever you can in there, BMC CDA if you can, or an 306 unit bolted to the inner wing.

carbs/bodies, anything from individual cones, through paired K&N units to mesh filter boxes to complete airboxes with panel filtered feeds.

Edited by welshpug

GazRallye

Sorry, for an 8v 1360cc

macaroni

When I had the standard carb on my car, I went for a PiperX pancake-type filter and it sounded great.

I know people claim it needs a decent cold air feed, but I didn't notice any drop in power and I enjoyed the noise.

Guest smokinslim

I can recommend the drop-in-the-box k&n, does the job nicely whilst being discreet at the same time.

GazRallye

Has anyone tried mating a raceland or similar style item desiged for a 16v engine to an 8v carb, this is what i want to do, don't know how exactly yet tho... :(

Like this one 97yj1.jpg

swordfish210

well i'v got a pipercross one on mine but then i do have a Webber DGV carb (from a pinto) and to be honest you wont notice any difference with a aftermarket air filter. It will make a difference on the dyno, 1 or 2 BHP but thats about it. Also you will need a proper cold air intake, not like mine which was a quick job done with a braking duct and a piece of heatproof tubing.

07012007176.jpg

GazRallye

Hows is that suited for winter, do you not get the carb freezing up?

What are all the pipes for on the standard air box? I know 1 creates a vaccum so needs blocking, but what do the other 2 do?

And also what is an oil catch tank, i've been reading around, but still don't know exactly what one is.

Cheers

sutol

What are all the pipes for on the standard air box? I know 1 creates a vaccum so needs blocking, but what do the other 2 do?

And also what is an oil catch tank, i've been reading around, but still don't know exactly what one is.

Cheers

Oil catch tank is like a header tank for oil, it catches the oil mist from the engine and prevents it from venting to atmosphere. It's like seperator , it seperates oil from air and stops it dropping on the track basicly.

Idealy the caught oil should drain via a filter to the sump when the engine cools.

Rippthrough

I have zilch, cause the engines knackered and I have a spare waiting, die you b*****!

Jrod

I also have a piperX flat filter and have used the ducting but I have on both sides.

Back a month or 2 ago it was really cold one day and if you had the heater on the car would run rough which I put down to it being to cold, I turned the pipes so they aimed away from the filter and it was fine.

swordfish210

nah i'v never had the carb freeze up on me but then i allways let mine warm up before i go anywhere

sutol
nah i'v never had the carb freeze up on me but then i allways let mine warm up before i go anywhere

I had a carb freeze up once one snowy evening a few years ago. I was doing reverse doughnuts on a pub carpark when the engine stopped :D Took about a minute for heat soak from engine to put things back in order :)

Craigb

My ex wife used to have a fiesta 1.4s that would freeze up every 30 miles in very cold weather .

it would gradually slow to a halt , then after about 5mins restart after the heat from the engine had thawed it out !

A piece of tumble drier hose was the cure :D . Bodge but effective

Jrod

Found a picture of my setup.

(all the redness is gone now tho :D )

spa0628kh1.jpg

Sign in to follow this