• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
yorkshirekowboy

Can Rear Hub Bearings Be Rebuilt?

yorkshirekowboy

hi all

just wanting to know if the rear hubs bearings can be rebulit as mine have all dropped apart and i had to replace some of the ball bearings as i lost some.

has anybody done it and got good result.... no play, no noise etc?

prob need to get new ones like, thou they are pricey!!!

thanks for all your help

dan

Ahl

If you grease it properly etc (don't over grease it!), then there should be no problem I wouldn't have thought.

Obviously any grit in them would be bad. Also they might be on their way out anyway?

jim21070

As Ahl says, no worries if they're spotlessly clean. A bit of grit will kill them in no time though.

New ones are cheap and quite straightforward to replace if you have a press or very large, meaty vice. Don't believe what Mr. Haynes may tell you about replacing them. It is not as easy has he makes out. It may have been when the car was new but after 15 years the bearings are quite at home and don't want to leave without a struggle usually.

I'd be very tempted to replace them myself.

yorkshirekowboy
As Ahl says, no worries if they're spotlessly clean. A bit of grit will kill them in no time though.

New ones are cheap and quite straightforward to replace if you have a press or very large, meaty vice. Don't believe what Mr. Haynes may tell you about replacing them. It is not as easy has he makes out. It may have been when the car was new but after 15 years the bearings are quite at home and don't want to leave without a struggle usually.

I'd be very tempted to replace them myself.

cheers so how much do they cost the bearings??? not the complete hub then i need??? wheres the cheapest place u seen them for?

thanks

dan