• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M_R_205

Valve Sizes

M_R_205

I bought an mi16 a while back which supposedly had a head as built buy David baker which came with a supposed 36.5mm inlets however on finally pulling the engine apart the valves dont quite measure 36.5mm my vernier measures 35.94mm, can I rest assured that I have not had my eyes conned out and that a 36.5 mm valve can be slightly smaller and they round it up?

secondly can I prove it is one of his heads, its all well and good having the big valves but if some idiot has just crammed a flap wheel in for 20 mins and re cut the seats for the bigger valves I may as well have thrown my money away, and as im no expert on how a `good` throat should look I cant really tell if has been done by him or some clown!!!

Edited by M_R_205

PumaRacing

My valves are 36.5mm exactly. This is not one of my heads.

M_R_205
My valves are 36.5mm exactly. This is not one of my heads.

thats a real gutter, if i was to upload a couple of pics would you be able to give your opinion on it?

petert

I wouldn't get too upset about 0.5mm. Getting the seat work correct is far more important.

M_R_205
I wouldn't get too upset about 0.5mm. Getting the seat work correct is far more important.

i agree with you there, i just hope the head is decent and not a cowboy job, im gona up load sum pics when i get home from work let ppl give opinions on it...

smckeown

as it's off why not get it flow tested by someone like QEP ?

M_R_205
as it's off why not get it flow tested by someone like QEP ?

good plan! what sort of price is involved? however i have no idea what all the flow figures mean, ive seen the CFM figures in other threads but its meaningless to me....

Sandy
good plan! what sort of price is involved? however i have no idea what all the flow figures mean, ive seen the CFM figures in other threads but its meaningless to me....

I'd like to throw some cold water on the idea that flow makes a good head, if only it was that simple.

Rippthrough

Flow figures are no good without port velocities, and even then it's not a comprehensive analysis.

Arse dyno is the best way!

Edited by Rippthrough

M_R_205
I'd like to throw some cold water on the idea that flow makes a good head, if only it was that simple.

so what else makes a good head, i ask while not trying to sound stupid...

M_R_205

Sandy

Impossible to quantify that exactly off the engine IMO, the only measurable proof is the spread of power and driveability. To achieve that end, the head will need to complement and support all the other elements, from the induction system, through the cam properties to the chamber, where it must be able to compress and efficiently burn the mixture and cam properties again into exhaust geometry and back again in a perpetual loop that varies with engine speed and load.

sutol

Not how I would have done it but then I'm not an expert with 205's :blush:

bren_1.3

ouch, looks like the cutters have clipped the valve guides?

Ahl

Are those ports rough to the touch or is it just the photos?

What are the short side radii like? (the bend at the bottom of the port)

M_R_205

it looks like something has caught the guide but at the same time it looks like they have been removed to do the cutting?? and the ports aint no babys arse but there smoth id say, as for the bend its gentle with no lumps a nice smooth flow, im starting to feel a bit better about the head i remeasured the valves and there slightly bigger than first thought... i think the best way to tell how good it is is just to stick it together and put it on the bogg bro`s dino as there going to be setting up the carbs, does anyone have any vauge idea of the powwer i should be expecting??

Edited by M_R_205

Sign in to follow this