• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Spiky

Adjustable Lower Arms?

Spiky

are they available for the pug????

Powers

Yes, there are two types, one shares the original design with rose joints and the other is tubular with rose joints.

Spiky

do you know where to get some???

any webistes?

Ahl

Have you tried a search? There were loads of topics on this.

Spiky

i did :angry:

nick

Search for "adjustable wishbones" loads of topics.

Nick

Spiky

omg , did think they would that much :angry:

bren_1.3

AB motorsport charge silly money, you can have them made for 300 i reckon. apparantly the joint itself is roughly 100 pounds so what the other 385 quid is for god only knows. (just looked at the WMMS site and its £105.75) Likewise the modified pedal boxes that AB sell at 300 + pounds on an exchange basis are just extortionate. you can buy all the parts to build one yourself from compbrake, have the necessary machining and welding done by someone else, and still have change from 250 quid for a set of uprated pads!!!

how much do you think an engineering firm would charge you if you gave them an old wishbone with the balljoint cut out, and a M20 threaded tube of suitable properties and said "braze/weld them together please at such and such an angle?".......definately not 385 squid.

slight rant over...

they do crop up from time to time on ebay and generally fetch about 250. why not try compbrake? they might have something.

voila...half the price

Edited by brens_1.9_wide_arch

Rippthrough

£55 quid for a bolt! :(

You could have the pair, the nuts and the spacers in titanium for that!

Rik

The bolts are the hard bit as they require a bit of machining!

i made mine myself - its very easy.

DSCF0568.thumb.jpg

BIG PIC

Rik

Edited by Rik

ricdat
The bolts are the hard bit as they require a bit of machining!

i made mine myself - its very easy.

Errrm .... are you saying, "it is very easy to modify a wishbone - the end might break off though"? That's what the picture looks like. As for the rear trailing arm, I don't know them well enough - what have you done to that?

bren_1.3
Errrm .... are you saying, "it is very easy to modify a wishbone - the end might break off though"? That's what the picture looks like. As for the rear trailing arm, I don't know them well enough - what have you done to that?

pray tell me the difference between riks and AB and west midlands adjustable arms? apart from the probable 300 pounds difference?

Rik

Nah the weld is strong as an Ox!

And if you think everytime theres a load put on the wheel the wishbone will move up with the suspension strut thus taking kost of the load away from the end of the wishbone.

Rik

205wrc
What an absolute bump :)

They don't even have bearings on the subframe mounts!! You'd expect that for 500 nicker.

Unless the car is used purely for track use, you really don't want rose joints on the subframe mounts as then you will have no "give" at all in the suspension. You need something in the suspension somewhere to absorb the impact otherwise every bump is going to come up through the steering and the whole car will shake itself to bits.

ricdat
Nah the weld is strong as an Ox!

Rik

I've gone back to your big pic again - I misinterpreted the photo before; now I can see the (threaded) sleeve and welds! I agree on the strength of a weld like that - they will have very little stress.

Is the rear swingarm modified?

sutol
£55 quid for a bolt! :)

You could have the pair, the nuts and the spacers in titanium for that!

Likewise the rosejoints

I'm going to look at where I used to buy mine from and see how much they have gone up.

I'll post tomorrow, I'm sure they are not £100+ each....far from it. :lol:

Sam
Unless the car is used purely for track use, you really don't want rose joints on the subframe mounts as then you will have no "give" at all in the suspension. You need something in the suspension somewhere to absorb the impact otherwise every bump is going to come up through the steering and the whole car will shake itself to bits.

So less money should be charged, 250 is fair I guess.

Sam

205wrc

I'd say £300 - £350. The rose joints that are used are'nt cheap. I paid £160 for a pair last time, and that was about two years ago. They are quite a difficult size to get hold of - M20 thread x 16mm hole.

The cheapest I can find at the moment are £94 each inc vat.

If you make the arms yourself, then they can be a lot cheaper, but if you get a local engineer to do them for you, then you could be looking at £70 - £80 for a pair of bolts, four top hat spacers, four lock nuts - two on the bolts and two on the rose joints, and a pair of threaded tubes to weld into the arms.

Then the arms have to be cut and machined out to accept the threaded tubes, and then welded in position, not by a mig welder, but by using disimilar metal rods and an arc welder as you will be welding steel to cast.

If you use new arms, then add £80 for a pair, or £20 for a set of new bushes if using old ones.

2 arms - £80

2 Rose joints - £188

Machining Work £80 (bolts, spacers etc)

Giving you a grand total of £348 (or £288 if you use old arms and buy new bushes)

But like I said, they can be a lot cheaper if you do them yourself. The last pair I sold went for £360 inc carriage.

taylorspug
You need something in the suspension somewhere to absorb the impact otherwise every bump is going to come up through the steering and the whole car will shake itself to bits.

Funny, i could have sworn that big tubular assembly with the spring attached to it did this job fairly well! :)

And before you go into some long winded explanation in the ways of suspension etc, i know what you mean, its a joke.

Sign in to follow this