• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
TaffyTim

Changing Alternator Belt

TaffyTim

alternator001.jpg

alternator002.jpg

I have loosened the bolt which is behind the nodule in the middle of the first picture and slackened the tensioner off fully from above, but the belt is still too tight to come off.

Ive then tried to loosen the bolt in the top left of the 2nd pic but cant get a spanner arround it and the alternator will not move.

Am I aiming for the right bolt? If so is there a special tool that i need as it seems too tightly spaced to get spanner or socket on it.

Ta

Edited by TaffyTim

Faz85

A ring spanner should fit on that bolt nicely, they are a bit narrower than ordinary spanners. It is the right bolt though, it would be worth giving it a good shot with penetrating fluid before hand, mine was really FT.

Faz

TaffyTim

ta Faz, good to know that im attacking the bolt.

Ryan

The big bolt at the top is the right one. It's a 21mm iirc, which is a size most spanner sets don't seem to have. A 13/16" also fits well enough if you have one.

TaffyTim

A good friend of mine had a 21mm spanner and with a bit of wd40 then a strong right arm the nut came loose :P

Belt now changed and doing a fine job.

Thanks both for advice

Rob_the_Sparky

Just as an aside, just because it is a big bolt doesn't mean do it up F***ing tight. It only needs to stop the alternator coming loose, not need to do it overly tight.

Rob

mickie

those alternators look so bad

jim21070
those alternators look so bad

No worries, they always look like they have been in the sea for a thousand years. It has absolutely no effect on their performance. They are in a very exposed spot.

Sign in to follow this