• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Pugnut

Using A2 Stainless Bolts For Suspension Mountings

Pugnut

are A2 stainless bolts suitable for suspension bushes and mountings or would they be too brittle?

cheers, Al

Rippthrough
are A2 stainless bolts suitable for suspension bushes and mountings or would they be too brittle?

cheers, Al

A2-70 or preferably A2-80 should be fine for replacing grade 8.8's with, but it depends where you are putting them, I wouldn't use them for bolts where the main force is shear rather than tensile.

Pugnut
A2-70 or preferably A2-80 should be fine for replacing grade 8.8's with, but it depends where you are putting them, I wouldn't use them for bolts where the main force is shear rather than tensile.

i was thinking the rear beam m12's . front bushes and for the stay that goes to the rear mount . also the front 'bones. All which should be treated as having the main forces as shearing .

whats grade 8.8?

Rippthrough
i was thinking the rear beam m12's . front bushes and for the stay that goes to the rear mount . also the front 'bones. All which should be treated as having the main forces as shearing .

whats grade 8.8?

8.8 is a hardened steel bolt - the one's that are usually used in suspension mountings.

Personally I would leave those ones, even though they may be fine, or go titanium.

Edited by Rippthrough

Pugnut

so i should try and get the oe ones from a dealer and be done with it . I was thinking that screwfix has a good selection of a2,a4,bzp high tensile bolts ?

cheers, Al

if i got the right bolts , even in multiples of 50 i could easily sell them off in full sets for cost+postage+beer. Or is there anyone thats doing this allready or has better resources than myself to do it? Its the worst bit about putting these things back together - F**ked bolts-nuts and fasteners!

regards, AL

Rippthrough
so i should try and get the oe ones from a dealer and be done with it . I was thinking that screwfix has a good selection of a2,a4,bzp high tensile bolts ?

cheers, Al

if i got the right bolts , even in multiples of 50 i could easily sell them off in full sets for cost+postage+beer. Or is there anyone thats doing this allready or has better resources than myself to do it? Its the worst bit about putting these things back together - F**ked bolts-nuts and fasteners!

regards, AL

Depends what bolts you want, I'll be putting through an order of stainless and titanium in a week or two, but not steel.

Pugnut

a few questions for you:

1, do you have minimum order levels?

2, how much would say 4 nut bolt washer kits be for the front arms?(ballpark)

3, you seem to know you're bolts, can you do suitable stainless ones?

4, can recommend where to source steel ones if q1,2,3 are out of limits!

cheers, Al

Rippthrough
a few questions for you:

1, do you have minimum order levels?

2, how much would say 4 nut bolt washer kits be for the front arms?(ballpark)

3, you seem to know you're bolts, can you do suitable stainless ones?

4, can recommend where to source steel ones if q1,2,3 are out of limits!

cheers, Al

1. - Nope

2. - Depends on whether the size is in stock, they mainly do smaller stuff and cap head (allen key type) unless it's titanium. I'm not sure on the sizes without going and checking. In stainless cap heads I would say maybe £4, unless they don't stock them, in which case it'd be a bit more. Titanium hex or cap head versions maybe ~£20

3.- I can get A2-80 grade bolts, cold forged/rolled threads, but they're still not as strong in shear as hardened steel version. Or this place can do A2-70 with no minimum order and cheap postage, used them before and they're good http://www.stagonset.co.uk/

4.- Local DIY place is the best bet. Or screwfix :P

Edited by Rippthrough

Sign in to follow this