• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
boldy205

Con Rod Nuts

boldy205

Hi, i am in the process of rebuilding my 1.9MI16 (alloy block) and was wondering if the con rod big end bearing nuts need to be replaced as a matter of course. as in some head bolts cannot be reused.

thanks,

matt

Mikey S
Hi, i am in the process of rebuilding my 1.9MI16 (alloy block) and was wondering if the con rod big end bearing nuts need to be replaced as a matter of course. as in some head bolts cannot be reused.

thanks,

matt

its widse to replace them. either use genuine pug parts or, as alot of people do, is replace them with arp bolts that are much better. around 75 quid rings a bell.

boldy205

ok thanks, do these have a habbit of breaking do they?

James_m

Id replace the bolts as well as the nuts. Dunno if they are prone to failiure, but you do occasionally hear of mi's throwing rods, if thats caused be rod bolts snapping i have no idea, but its better to be better safe than sorry!

Edited by James_m

Mikey S

my brothers mi16 put through a rod through the block after the bolts sheared, that made a hell of a mess.

ALEX

I reused mine and they've been fine for 30,000 miles now.

Unessecerry expense if you ask me.

Chances are that if the rod cap comes off, it won’t be due to a faulty nut and stud.

Edit: what Im saying here is that the cause for a cap to fly off is usually the result of major engine failure.

Remember that Top Gear episode with the Italian Super car for less than 10k and clarksons Mazzeratti threw a rod.

It was making a lot of noise before it did and he must have drove about 10 miles with no oil pressure before it blew.

Ask yourself (or phone one up) would an engine builder fit new ones?

I doubt it unless he was building a 10 grand race spec engine.

Edited by ALEX

ALEX
its widse to replace them. either use genuine pug parts or, as alot of people do, is replace them with arp bolts that are much better. around 75 quid rings a bell.

On the 2.0L XE Redtop engine you can buy uprated conrod bolts as the the factory Vauxhall ones can fail on tuned engines.

But if your not tuning the engine then the standard ones are fine.

Same apllies for the Mi16 I suppose.

But I guess it all depends on how much money you have and how far you are going to rebuild it.

I.e. are you changing the pistons and liners etc.. If not then your deffenatly wasting your money on bearing cap nuts. :blush:

Sign in to follow this