• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
engelbert

Coolant Warning Light Coming On?

engelbert

Hello I've got a uk spec 205 rallye (xr) and the coolant level warning light has started coming on every now and then? The wierd thing is the coolant level is fine and has been the same since i bought the car :D .

Is this just likely to be a wiring fault/short or something. or could it mean something else :unsure: ?

cheers

swordfish210

well it's either dodgy wiring or an air lock in the system. Try cleaning all of the connectors first and if it still comes on then undo all of the bleed hoses in the system and see if any air comes out

engelbert

Cheers dude I'll give it a go :unsure:

Richie-Van-GTi

is it the one that looks like a pan lid with wavy lines? If it is then an airlock doesnt effect it as its sensor is in the expansion tank. Take the sensor out and give it a good clean out, mine done the same and it was full of gunk and muck that had collected from the coolant. Cleaning it sorted it out.

engelbert

Cheers :D yep it is that light. where is the sensor for the coolant? had a look but not sure whats what :unsure:

Also to add to the problem I un done what I assume is a bleed valve at the top back of the engine looks like a shraeder valve and now coolant leeks from there and i cant stop it, i have tightened it as far as i can but it still leeks? any ideas on how to sort this as well?

Edited by engelbert

Richie-Van-GTi

try some PTFE tape on the bleed screw, the sensor is in the header tank, you will see some wires plugged into top of header tank next to the cap. Undo wires, unscrew sensor.

engelbert

come across another problem, there are no wires going into the header tank :D but i did have a look around the engine bay and there is a connector block going into the top right of the radiator as you look down into the engine bay could this be the sensor? also where are the other bleed valves?all i could find was the one at the top back of the engine. :unsure:

engelbert

Thanks for the help have fixed the leak just needed a new cap :) light still on but coolant level still fine so not to worried i'll get to that. cheers :P

josh1990

Two lights come on in my car at random intervals the stop one and and the one to the left of it :wub:

kanyeost

If it comes on randomly I guess a sensor or other electrical issue is most likely, if it comes on whenever it warms up then it could be air trapped in the system somewhere.

On my Rallye, whenever I change the coolant (which feels like pretty much every weekend at the moment) I always get the little red light at the bottom right of the dash come up once the engine gets hot. This happens no matter how slowly I fill the system or how much I squeeze the pipes while I'm doing it.

I get rid of the light by getting the engine up to temperature so that the light comes on & then very carefully opening and closing the bleed valves, (burnt fingers) then carefully opening the radiator cap and topping it up with coolant as necessary, I then put the cap back on, squeeze the pipes and repeat until fixed. System will be v. hot & under pressure so careful now. Last time I left the expansion tank lid off while I heated the engine up and this meant the pressure was not so great when I undid the radiator cap.

Also the coolant sensor doesn't run to the expansion tank on the Rallye, not quite sure where it does go though.

pug_ham

The coolant level sensor on non GTi models is in the top of the radiator on the opposite side to the filler cap.

Graham.

engelbert

Cheers for the help on this guys only just noticed the responses havent checked it for months ;)

The problem is all sorted the coolent sensor was in the top of the radiator so i took it out cleaned it checked all the wires all fine. tested it and all works. I'd done this months ago and the light hasent come on since. Cheers again :lol:

engelbert
Two lights come on in my car at random intervals the stop one and and the one to the left of it ;)

Dont you just love old french cars :lol:

Edited by engelbert

Rupes
Cheers :lol: yep it is that light. where is the sensor for the coolant? had a look but not sure whats what :lol:

Also to add to the problem I un done what I assume is a bleed valve at the top back of the engine looks like a shraeder valve and now coolant leeks from there and i cant stop it, i have tightened it as far as i can but it still leeks? any ideas on how to sort this as well?

I see you've fixed it now, but incase anyone else needs to know, the other bleed valve is on top of the thermostat housing, you'll need an allen key to undo it. Got the same problem with my Rallye, filled it, bled it, kicked it a few times ;) , now I'll try cleaning the radiator sensor thingy too.

Sign in to follow this