• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GLPoomobile

Renewing Steering Components

GLPoomobile

Righty then

Last year I renewed everything in the suspension department bar the shocks (will be done in a few months), and unfortunately I'm still not happy due to some steering problems.

I probably could sort this out if I investigated far enough but to be honest I think I'm just going to throw caution to the wind and renew everything else. As it stands I need to replace either a wheel bearing or driveshaft anyway, and since I have some spare 1.9 hubs I'm going to put new bearings in them and fit new driveshafts. Then I also need to get new discs and pads. So after all this, I might as well do the steering components and then if anything is still amiss at least I can rule out dodgy parts :D

I'll probably get a steering rack from Neat, and track rods from GSF (rod ends new last year). So that just leaves the Steering column and anything else between that and the rack.

What should I be looking for? Is the steering column in two halves (upper and lower)? Are there any other bits like UJs that have to be bought seperately? Where can I buy this stuff and what are the prices?

And please don't tell me not to waste my money on this :D

And if anyone has a spare subframe kicking about PM me (I'll probably just drop the whole lot from under the car so thinking of taking the opportunity to get a painted/powder coated subframe and ARB. )

hengti

- upper column: does anyone remanufacture these? probably genuine Peugeot only; price unknown but likely astronomical! least likely component to require replacement imo

- lower column: GSF or ECP apparently do these for £30; genuine Pug are £60

- rack/track rod ends: (already sorted)

what's the problem you've got with the steering?

GLPoomobile

Car has a tendancy to wander and tramlines a bit. Pulling to the left (seems to be worse since having 4 wheel alignment done). Also understeering a bit more than I'd like.

A lot of this can probably be easily fixed - I have one Speedline and 1 SMR on the front, matching wheels might help. The track rod ends have probably been unevenly adjusted when the allignment was done (some people don't think it makes any difference but I have my doubts). I definately have a tiny bit of play in one track rod.

But like I said, I want to replace as much as I can. More so for the sake of having new components on the car.

Besides, it's either throw money at the car or piss away my company car allowance on alcohol!

Sign in to follow this