• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ole_1987

Difference Between The Gti And Rallye Engine/gearbox?

Ole_1987

I have a BX 19 GTi in my 205 but i'm considdering swapping it with a 1.9 Rallye engine with gearbox both engines are from 1991.

what differences are there between the 1.9 GTI engine/gearbox and the Rallye engine/gearbox?

I know that the most of the horsepower are in cylinderhead but what else is different?

I'm planning to use a 1.9 ported cylinderhead and a 288* camshaft and the Peugeot GTI wiring/ignitionsystem.

Richie-Van-GTi

1.9 rallye? I thought the rallye was a 1.3 and is a TU engine.

Ole_1987
1.9 rallye? I thought the rallye was a 1.3 and is a TU engine.

Yes but they are also made in a xu type.. until 1993 as far as i know.

t16ryan

Oh right never heard of a 1.9 rallye ? thought it was only 1.3 and 1.4 ?

Edited by t16ryan

Ryan

I don't think they sold the 1.9 Rallye in the UK :unsure:

t16ryan

AAH just looked at his location :unsure:

Grim.Badger

I always thought it was the XU9J1 engine as it's got different intake piping etc, but after some reading about that just seems to be the low compression Cat engine :unsure:

Which code is on the Rallye engine?

MiD

Found this on Wilkipedia

From 1990 to 1992 Peugeot also built a 1.9-litre version of the 205 Rallye. Only about 1000 of them were produced and they were only sold in Germany, because the 1.3 version did not meet German road regulations. The 1.9 Rallye is just a 105 bhp 1.9 GTI with the Rallye bodyshell and the new-style clear indicators and rear light units. Although they are even rarer than the 1.3 Rallye, they are less popular among Peugeot enthusiasts, because they lack the raw and spartan character of the 1.3 Rallye and are 150 kg heavier.

After the 205 Rallye, Peugeot again used the 'Rallye' designation for some of its 106 and 306 models. Peugeot also released a Rallye version of the 205 in Great-Britain, and used a 75 bhp TU3.2 engine

Ole_1987
I always thought it was the XU9J1 engine as it's got different intake piping etc, but after some reading about that just seems to be the low compression Cat engine :unsure:

Which code is on the Rallye engine?

XU9J1 - DFZ

1989-1993

info is found on 205gtidrivers.com

Richie-Van-GTi

Id guess it will be the same box as either a 1.6 or 1.9 gti. Is there any codes stamped on the box?

Grim.Badger
Id guess it will be the same box as either a 1.6 or 1.9 gti. Is there any codes stamped on the box?

Not according to the parts CD, it has it's own gearbox. I suspect it will be a short geared gearbox rather than a longer cruising one like the XU9JA has, and with it being a rally it may even be shorter than the 1.6, but I'm just guessing here.

Ole_1987
Not according to the parts CD, it has it's own gearbox. I suspect it will be a short geared gearbox rather than a longer cruising one like the XU9JA has, and with it being a rally it may even be shorter than the 1.6, but I'm just guessing here.

Found it!

The GTI 1.9 has the following gearratio: 19/70 = 3.68

The Rallye has: 16/63 = 3.93

The GTI 1.6 has: 16/65 = 4,06

so the rallye has almost got the same gearing as the 1.6 GTI and a 106 Rallye.

Sign in to follow this