• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
fangio

Sun/fixed Roof Windscreens

fangio

I spent 2+hrs last night searching and could not find a definitive answer.

For sure the rubber surround is different as it has a deflector for sunroofs.

The Peugeot Parts CD shows different part no.s for fixed and sunroof and the bod at Kerrs Peugeot Dealership in Chelmsford agrees - but doesn't know for sure, or why.

In old threads people have said the screens are the same throughout the range of 205s, but then why have different part no.s and this is not just for tinted, clear etc.

I have a good spare screen from a sunroof and want to replace my fixed roof screen.

Would be obliged if someone could say they have ACTUALLY done it and it's okay, or not.

Also, Pugs want £30 + vat for the surround - can I get it anywhere else, or is it better to go for the quality? Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers. Paul.

Edited by fangio

Anthony

As far as I was aware, the glass itself was the same, and the seal was different between (factory) sunroof and non-sunroof models. If the part numbers are different though, there must be some difference :D

I've never done the swap myself, but I know someone bought a windscreen off me that came from a factory sunroof car, and they were going to be fitting it to their aftermarket sunroof (ie once non-sunroof) car - I never heard back from them saying that it didn't fit, for what that's worth...

Baz

The last one i changed (still haven't done the blue one :( ) was from my old non sunroof, fitted into a factory sunroof car fine. Can't see any reason there'd be different part numbers other than as you say, different tints etc. :D

Ren

They are indeed the same part. The only difference between 205 windscreens is that all Gti's have a bronze tint to them. If you want to change the rubber then try a company called National Windscreens as these will do a supply only price although i doubt it will be much cheaper than Peugeot. Alternatively use the old rubber and get a tube of windscreen sealent. We use a product called Arbomast, basically u push the nozzle in the rubber against the glass when it's fitted and go all the way around the screen. The easiest way to do this is to spray water all round the edge first as this will stop the nozzle sticking. You want to squeeze enough in that it oozes out all the way round, then scrape off the excess. This will then create a watertight seal.

HTH

Ren

fangio

Thanks for the helpful replies guys.

I went to change the screen yesterday and when I peeled the rubber back to slot the 2 pences in it started to disintegrate, so that was the end of that.

In past threads some complained of non-pug rubbers not sealing properly (ooh mrs! ).

I just didn't want to take the old screen out - new rubber in - then find the screen doesn't fit. Particularly with this weather.

The only logical thing I can come up with is perhaps the sunroof w/screen is thicker for strength due to a hole in the roof?

steve@cornwall
Thanks for the helpful replies guys.

I went to change the screen yesterday and when I peeled the rubber back to slot the 2 pences in it started to disintegrate, so that was the end of that.

In past threads some complained of non-pug rubbers not sealing properly (ooh mrs! ).

I just didn't want to take the old screen out - new rubber in - then find the screen doesn't fit. Particularly with this weather.

The only logical thing I can come up with is perhaps the sunroof w/screen is thicker for strength due to a hole in the roof?

I have used a non-sunny rubber + sunny 'screen in my vac-sunny car

Non-sunny screen + rubber in the cti

My old gti was with the dealer-fit sunroof-so essentially a non-sunny shell.Used sunny screen + non-sunny rubber

no leaks/issues with any

fangio

Thanks for that Steve. :D Appreciated.

Sign in to follow this