• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
niklas

Oil Pump Chain

niklas

How thight should the oil pump chain be? Mine is pretty loose.. :D

If I press the chain inwards halfway between the sprockets I can easily press it 10 mm inwards...

Ryan

Sounds fine. It doesn't need to be stretched tight. As long as it can't ump of the teeth it'll be ok.

niklas
Sounds fine. It doesn't need to be stretched tight. As long as it can't ump of the teeth it'll be ok.

Great! Thanks :D

Anthony

As said, the chain always runs what seems like fairly loose.

So long as you're using the correct chain and you've got the L-shaped spacer plate under the pump it'll be fine :D

niklas
As said, the chain always runs what seems like fairly loose.

So long as you're using the correct chain and you've got the L-shaped spacer plate under the pump it'll be fine :D

Does it matter if I stretch the chain a little? As long as it not tight as a piano string.. :(

I will measure the distance between the sump and the oil pickup but it seems to be somewhere in the area 5-10mm, and I might make a thicker L-shaped spacer plate to make that distance a little shorter!

Could be a good idea with regards to oil surge...!?

lagonda

Hi,

Had the same worry with mine, seems alarmingly loose. Advice to me was that this looseness was to allow for heat expansion of the aluminium of the oil pump as opposed to the steel of the chain.

I checked the sprocket teeth, which were fine (they'd be hook shaped if worn), and checked the chain by "bending" it (gently, obviously!) sideways to see how far out of a straight line it would go, also by pulling/pushing individual links for fee play. In both cases wear was obviously minimal.

Suggest you try those checks for peace of mind. If all appears OK you'll have peace of mind. Know where you're coming from though, there does seem to be a lot of slop there, you just have to assume it's there for the reason stated!

According to Haynes the L shaped spacer was only fitted to early cars, later pumps were modified to do away with it. Mine is late 89 & doesn't have a spacer.

niklas
Hi,

Had the same worry with mine, seems alarmingly loose. Advice to me was that this looseness was to allow for heat expansion of the aluminium of the oil pump as opposed to the steel of the chain.

I checked the sprocket teeth, which were fine (they'd be hook shaped if worn), and checked the chain by "bending" it (gently, obviously!) sideways to see how far out of a straight line it would go, also by pulling/pushing individual links for fee play. In both cases wear was obviously minimal.

Suggest you try those checks for peace of mind. If all appears OK you'll have peace of mind. Know where you're coming from though, there does seem to be a lot of slop there, you just have to assume it's there for the reason stated!

According to Haynes the L shaped spacer was only fitted to early cars, later pumps were modified to do away with it. Mine is late 89 & doesn't have a spacer.

Great advices lagonda! I will have a look and verify that the wear is within limits.. :D

Lillpete

I can hear a chain rattle type sound coming from (without bonnet up search) the front of the engine, could this be the oil pump chain is loose??

Lillpete

If it is the oil pump chain is this easily adjusted?? just drop the sump and tighten a bolt?? (I hope) :)

taylorspug

The chain isnt really adjustable in any way other than shimming it, which requires the oil pump to be taken off. Make doubly sure its that 1st though, i dont think its common for them to go, and they are run pretty loose as standard.

matty_gti

Not all XU engines have the shims in between the pump and the block do they?

pug_ham
Not all XU engines have the shims in between the pump and the block do they?
No, for a while oil pumps were made with the extra width built in but its been a fairly even split on the engines I've stripped if they've had them or not.

IIRC the XU10 had the shim fitted where a couple of the XU5/9's I've done haven't had it.

I didn't fit one on mine when I rebuilt it & the chain was about the same as Niklas mentions his to be at first.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this