• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
clifton

Exhaust

clifton

which is the better exhaust to get, or group A one or a group N one or please could you suggest another one i could use?

cheers ben

sonofsam

I really would do some research on here Ben first, it gets asked alot.

Group A is 2.5" diameter and too big imo for a 1.6 or even 1.9, unless it had a turbo of course..

Group N is 2" ish diameter.

But basically its only abit of pipe and not going to make a huge difference to performane ( may do to sound ), unless its to small a dia or to big, im sure Sean can vouch for that!

Other names to search ( on here ) for are Magnex or Scorpion, few others too, but most people find the OE pipe to be best for most applications.

Edited by sonofsam

bales

Like Sam said the group A is generally a bit big dia unless you have a seriously tuned engine. I bought a group N omp system and have had no problems with it whatsoever, it is 2" dia I think.

The only issue is it is quite loud if you use your car every day or drive on a motorway - but to be fair I have driven my car everyday for 18 months and has never bothered me.

clifton

sorry i always forget to do searches :) so really a group N one is the one to go for, bales how much did you pay for your omp group N? and did you get it off the ebay shop? and i like quite loud cars, aslong as its not a chavvy kind of loud

ben

bales

I payed about £150

Its loud but not raspy crappy nova loud, quite deep at idle but then a nice note at about 3.5k onwards.

smckeown

be careful with group n and a, as they usually don't mean the same diameter across different suppliers.

What engine and power are you planning, you need to know that first before choosing a suitable exhaust.

But my advice would be to check out the des-developments group N which is exactly 2" in diameter (which is slightly larger than standard), as this offers excellnt value for money being stainless; and been through proper development and test cycles.

Grim.Badger

IIRC Maxi has a standard Bosal system and his car runs over 200bhp so I personally wouldn't bother paying the extra for a group n or group a. I'm probably missing something though as I don't really know much about exhausts :D

Ahl

What if Maxi's car would otherwise be running 220bhp though? :D

If you go standard, go for Arvin-Mettler or whatever they're called these days. They're generally recognised as being the best pattern part.

Grim.Badger
What if Maxi's car would otherwise be running 220bhp though? ;)

Could be, I don't know the car well enough :unsure:

If you go standard, go for Arvin-Mettler or whatever they're called these days. They're generally recognised as being the best pattern part.

But isn't that just because they have the devider? I can't remember anyone posting back to back RR tests for different exhausts, but I'd love to see one :D Maybe one day we can all chip in to put a standard GTi on the rollers with various exhausts, and then one of the modded cars?

clifton

im just going to have a standard 1.6 really but with a port and polished head on it!

how much is the des exhaust do you know?

is the des exhaust better than the omp one?

cheers ben

mi16nut
how much is the des exhaust do you know?

They just quoted me £225 +VAT + £23 P&P (Total £288) for a stainless Group N two box system.

Mark.

Ahl
Could be, I don't know the car well enough :unsure:

But isn't that just because they have the devider? I can't remember anyone posting back to back RR tests for different exhausts, but I'd love to see one :D Maybe one day we can all chip in to put a standard GTi on the rollers with various exhausts, and then one of the modded cars?

I think NickR cut up a load of them once. The arvin one was like the OE exhaust, with proper reflective design 'baffles' while the Bosal and others had inferior wadding baffles.

In theory, the reflective design should be more efficient.

If its only for a standard or even fairly modified car, you are not going to gain any power what-so-ever over a good standard exhaust - it has been shown over and over again. Fitting a nicer manifold such as a Magnex 4-branch might give you a slight increase, but its still only a few horsepower.

Its really only about the sound and looks if you're going for a fancy exhaust.

jackherer
Its really only about the sound and looks if you're going for a fancy exhaust.

or longevity if you buy a stainless one.

Grim.Badger
I think NickR cut up a load of them once. The arvin one was like the OE exhaust, with proper reflective design 'baffles' while the Bosal and others had inferior wadding baffles.

In theory, the reflective design should be more efficient.

I remember reading about that when I was buying an exhaust but without RR comparisons I had no reason to spend the time making sure I got the Arvin that has the devider (apparently their sister company also produce under the name Arvin and their exhausts don't have the devider) so I just went to GSF and got a Bosal. Plus I don't really care about a few horses :unsure:

Maybe if I ever clear my debts I RR a car with the different exhausts :D

Ahl
I remember reading about that when I was buying an exhaust but without RR comparisons I had no reason to spend the time making sure I got the Arvin that has the devider (apparently their sister company also produce under the name Arvin and their exhausts don't have the devider) so I just went to GSF and got a Bosal. Plus I don't really care about a few horses :unsure:

Maybe if I ever clear my debts I RR a car with the different exhausts :D

I think you misunderstand. A bad exhaust can lose a lot more than just a few horses. If you want to be pedantic and not take good advice then thats your perogative.

I don't see how you wouldn't bother spending a few extra quid and time getting hold of an Arvin exhaust, when you say you'd go to the lengths of RR testing them?

Grim.Badger
I think you misunderstand. A bad exhaust can lose a lot more than just a few horses. If you want to be pedantic and not take good advice then thats your perogative.

I don't see how you wouldn't bother spending a few extra quid and time getting hold of an Arvin exhaust, when you say you'd go to the lengths of RR testing them?

Because My backbox had fallen off and I didn't have the time and money to mess about searching for an Arvin. I had to go over my overdraft as it was anyway so I just went for the simplest and cheapest solution. I would have gone for a Peugeot exhaust if I had the money as that will have been proven through exhaustive tests to be suitable for the engine.

Sorry if I sound pedantic but without RR comparrisons you can't really make judgements on which exhaust is better. All I meant was that Bosal is good enough for me as without concrete evidence of one being clearly better than the other I'll go for the cheapest, plus if it can flow up to and a bit over 200bhp I wouldn't expect it to restrict a standard or near standard 8v very much.

Maybe I question things too much, I know it causes me problems at home :unsure:

Edited by Grim.Badger

Grim.Badger

Again, sorry if I'm being too pedantic, I've got problems at home at the moment and I'm just transfering; imagine how my gf feels :D

Yes it is fair enough to say that the Arvin is probably the better exhaust and worth spending the time and money on getting because even without RR results it still looks like the higher quality exhaust when cut up so chances are it will be better for the car :angry:

hodgy

i have had both group n and group A on my 1.9 and group N is the better as it feels better but i went for group A as i could get one in stainless steel rather than mild steel like the group N. the group N was £150 and the stainless group A was £200 deliverd so money wise group A is better in my books but car wise group N

pug_ham

I've got a group N on mine & I'm currently of the thought that a small increase in diameter could show some gains.

As Miles has stated a few times previously they were originally designed for the 105bhp 1.6 GTi rally cars & had no development since then even though the standard system bore increased slightly when the later two piece system was fitted.

I'm looking at making a custom system for mine when I fit the four branch so its slightly more user friendly for me driving home after a nightshift.

Arvin were the oe manufacturers afaik at one point.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this