• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Saner

What Work Can I Do, What Should I Get The Garage To Do?

Guest Saner

Right. After fixing a few things on a 205 1.6 GTi I pickerd up I took it to a friends garage and got him to check what he thought needed atention.

This is the list he cam up with and the things i asked him to quote for.

o/s/f dip beam N/W

o/s/f side light N/W

o/s/f side repeater N/W

both rear shock absorber bushes perished and o/s/r leaking oil ok std parts £69.09 Lab £40

rear exhaust box in poor condition

both anti-roll bar links worn ok P £40.24 L £ 40

front brake discs badly worn but pads not worn but probably damaged ok P £ L £

o/s/r brake wheel cylinder leaking fluid ok P £86.14 L £80 (inc b/fluid dot 5.1,degreasers,hub nuts and hazardous waste disposal charge)

rear brake shoes contaminated with brake fluid ok See above

both handbrake cables cracked and damaged ok P £19.48 L £40

both front to rear and one rear metal brake pipes badly corroded ok P £29.28 L £80

n/s/ outer cv boot leaking grease ok P £5.29 L £20

2 tyres on 2mm marker

1 tyre badly perished

fuel injection relay bypassed

clutch heavy but appears to clear ok and doesnt slip (short road test only)

engine appears fine with a couple of small oil leaks but no noise

cam belt history unknown ok P £17.63 L £100

oil and filter ok fully synth P £43.08 L £20

Obviously some of teh stuff he's quoted for I can do to bring the cost to me down, such as Handbrake Cable's, Oil change and front dis'c and pads replacement.

What out of those mentioned above would people recomend getting the garage to do as I myself have no knowledge of Peugoets and little time to work on it!

Thanks

axnutty

Well, it depends how much money you want to save really. Obviously Id say get your hands dirty and do the lot, learn about the car and how to fix them in the future.... but as you say youve little spare time, then easy jobs from that list would be:

Oil and filter

Brake discs and pads

Rear shock absorbers

Rear exhaust box

If your handy at electrics then have a look at the OSF lights and the fuel relay too.

Tyres arent hard to do either just go down a local fitters (make sure its a good one though or youll be paying alot for them)

If your going to do the rear brakes then you may as well do all the related jobs, no point only doing half of them. So get the wheel cylinders replaced, shoes, cables and brake lines all in one go. As it involves brake lines you may find this easier to leave for the garage to do however...incidently I dont know for certain as I rarely use garages but £160 labour to replace a wheel cylinder and brake lines!? Seems a little steep, but then these are jobs Id do myself so Im not up on garage prices!

Cam belt and clutch, if your unsure, Id definetley let the garage do for piece of mind as youve come back if it goes wrong.

Richie-Van-GTi

o/s/f dip beam N/W probably bulb or bead earth

o/s/f side light N/W as above

o/s/f side repeater N/W as above

both rear shock absorber bushes perished and o/s/r leaking oil ok std parts £69.09 Lab £40 can sell you a pair for £10 plus £7 postage or collect if you want. EASY to DIY

rear exhaust box in poor condition gsf or buypartsby do them cheap enogh new, again EASY DIY

both anti-roll bar links worn ok P £40.24 L £ 40 GSF or BUYPARTSBY Easy DIY

front brake discs badly worn but pads not worn but probably damaged ok P £ L £ same companies again, easy diy

o/s/r brake wheel cylinder leaking fluid ok P £86.14 L £80 (inc b/fluid dot 5.1,degreasers,hub nuts and hazardous waste disposal charge) Having a laugh at part price there, use the already mentioned companies. Hazardous waste disposal my bumhole.

rear brake shoes contaminated with brake fluid ok See above - see my above

both handbrake cables cracked and damaged ok P £19.48 L £40 Thats reasonable.

both front to rear and one rear metal brake pipes badly corroded ok P £29.28 L £80 Parts cost is way less than that, local motor factors charge about 30p per foot max.

n/s/ outer cv boot leaking grease ok P £5.29 L £20 reasonable

2 tyres on 2mm marker get a set of F1's or toyo proxes off mytires online, £120 ish for 4

1 tyre badly perished as above

fuel injection relay bypassed sort this out or pump wont stop when car stalls....not good in accident.

clutch heavy but appears to clear ok and doesnt slip (short road test only) new cable, £8.50 delivered for cable off ebay. Fitting shouldnt cost more than £30

engine appears fine with a couple of small oil leaks but no noise, probably cam cover gasket £6 and easy DIY

cam belt history unknown ok P £17.63 L £100 dont mess about in this area, make sure the tensioner and water pump get done at same time.

oil and filter ok fully synth P £43.08 L £20 - use millers 10w40 semi and easy peasy DIY, change filter as well, only £6

Edited by Richie-Van-GTi

welshpug

as richie pointed out, some of those prices are shocking!!! gsfcarparts.com and eurocarpats.com

also try and use places like GSF or even the dealers as o.e parts are much much bettwer quality and dont cost that much more at all E.G clutch cabl;e from GSF, 8.50 or 11.00 and in stock next day if you cant get down there, or even just under £20 at a main dealer.

Dream Weaver

If it was me, then i'd buy all the parts up from GSF, ECP etc, then take 2 days off work and doit all yourself, should cost at most £450 with tyres, or you can pay the £1k that the garage is quoting.

It's all easy enough to do, so it boils down to how much you want to spend.

Beastie
Hazardous waste disposal my bumhole.

Okay - this is the bit I can't follow: What part of the original post gives reason to believe that this garage isn't disposing of its waste properly? You pay an environment charge at all garages these days - whether it's itemised on the bill or not. The responsible ones tend to itemise it.

Richie-Van-GTi

Ive never heard of a garage charge for hazrdous waste disposal other than tyres or gases from aircon. They will probably just wash it down the drain or at best chuck it in with the oil and dispose that way, but to charge for it is ridiculous.

Im not implying they arent disposing of it correctly, just that they are slinging things in to justify more charges.

Beastie
Ive never heard of a garage charge for hazrdous waste disposal other than tyres or gases from aircon. They will probably just wash it down the drain or at best chuck it in with the oil and dispose that way, but to charge for it is ridiculous.

Im not implying they arent disposing of it correctly, just that they are slinging things in to justify more charges.

Okay - with you now! It costs extra to dispose of brake linings, brake cleaning solvent, brake fluid, oil, filters etc. etc. Ever since these costs were introduced some years ago many garages started itemising them as an "environmental charge" to make it clear they were charging extra to cover the costs of meeting current legislation and not to increase their profits. If your garage doesn't itemise an environmental charge it means one of these things: Either they aren't disposing of their waste properly, or they have increased their hourly rate to cover the cost of doing so, or else their hourly rate was already way too high and they can afford to meet the extra costs without complaint ;)

Rob_the_Sparky

Tyre price is a bit hopeful but I think that isn't including fitting/balancing. I paid £200 for a set fully fitted/balanced by e-tyres, not the cheapest I know but much less hassle for them to come to the house and fit them (and dispose of a few other tyres I had lying around).

On the whole though I agree with Richie.

Rob

As mentioned all garages should be charging for removal of waste oil, oil filters, contaminated rags, antifteeze, brake fluid and on and on

they are all certainly being charged for the removal of these items, if they arent they are disposing of them illegally and will be royally shafted when found out!

Mikey S
As mentioned all garages should be charging for removal of waste oil, oil filters, contaminated rags, antifteeze, brake fluid and on and on

they are all certainly being charged for the removal of these items, if they arent they are disposing of them illegally and will be royally shafted when found out!

our garage has several different containers for oils, anti freeze, brakefluid, filters etc. its costs alot of money to have these emptied/disposed of in accordance with the enviroment agency hence the reason why many many garages charge for that service.

Guest BrainFluid

You have to be carefull when garages charge you for OE parts. Half the time they (the dodgy ones) just go and spend the fraction of what the part from peugeot cost on a third party item. Cheeky beggers ALWAYS ask to see proof that the parts came from where they said.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want a 205 and are not minted your just going to have to get your hands dirty IMO get an haynes manual to start with!

phonecomz

most of the work is pretty easy really if you have the patience, a haynes manual and of course this forum.

Even a novice can get through these jobs in a short time. Have the courage and save yourself the massive bill, you will feel much better after with the extra in your pocket. Also you get the satisfaction of knowing the job was done right..

If you do choose the garage option make sure the work has actually been done. Being in the trade i see the same every week where garages quote for several jobs and charge for them only afterwards not all task were carried out. Choose wisely and check before you leave the garage !

Guest Saner

Thanks guys, this is exactly the info I needed.

I am very confident in the garage but will keep an eye on them. I'll also query them as to some of the proces they are quoting.

As you have mentioned most of the jobs are easy DIY I will take on teh majority myself!

Sign in to follow this