• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Turbo7379

Turbo Diesel Help Needed

Turbo7379

My sister has a very nice 2002 Pug 307 SW 1.9 110SE HDI . It started making a bad noise last night & her mechanic has told her that it's probably the turbo . She says it sounds like a police siren & it's coming from the engine .

I've just did some searching & I can only find a listing for a 2.0 HDI engine . Was there a 1.9 version as well ?

She can't really afford a new turbo at the moment - £500 ! Does anyone know a good source for a good 2nd-hand one ?

Pugnut

there isnt a 1.9 . just one 2.0 hdi engine which is avaliable in either 90bhp or 110 bhp . both identical except for the fact that the 90bhp model was detuned to meet strict emmision regs and cheap road tax . also its a couple of insurance groups lower iirc.

as for the hairdryer , if a mechanic says so after a look then he's probably right . although i'de be searching long and hard for air leaks/split hoses etc

edit- ok a quick search on google and the 90/110 versions have different turbos too <_<

you could probably pick up a good s/h turbo from a scrappy for much less?

welshpug

it's normal for the HDI's to whistle, they can be hears quite a way away too but if its audible inside then there's definitely something wrong, but a leaky pipe is more like a wooshing noise than a whistle usually.

Pugnut
it's normal for the HDI's to whistle, they can be hears quite a way away too but if its audible inside then there's definitely something wrong, but a leaky pipe is more like a wooshing noise than a whistle usually.

my wifes doesnt whistle at all . but i have only real experience of that one.(and its a 90)

Richie-Van-GTi

sounds to me like oil starvation on the turbo, the turbo itself may be fine, it could be the oil not getting to it thats the problem, if it just started last night theres a good chance the turbo wont be damaged yet. Try taking the oil pipes off it and cleaning them out and do an oil change. Usea good quality oil like millers XFD or castrol GTD.

Mikey S

hdi 110 bhp have different turbo's and are fitted with an intercooler where as 90's arent.

you need to remove the inlet pipe from the turbo itself and check the impellor shaft for wobble. slight bit is ok, masses and its fooked im afraid. :)

its worth checking the egr valve as well if the turbo does turn out to be fubared as the renault dci 1.9 egr has a habit of monstering the turbo, also heard of vectra diesels doing the same.

Turbo7379

Thanks for the help so far .

I haven't had the chance to hear the car as I've been in bed for the past few days with a dose of the flu . She's been using the car every day for work , though not covering much mileage . I'll get her to call up to the house tomorrow evening & I'll have a quick look & listen to make sure it's the turbo .

How difficult is it to remove the inlet pipe to check play in the turbo shaft ?

Pugnut -

my wifes doesnt whistle at all . but i have only real experience of that one.(and its a 90)

You want to edit that post ? :D:)

Mikey S

best access is through the drivers side wheel arch with the wheel removed. undo the jubilee clip and remove the pipe and you will be able to see the compressor. wobble it up and down and in and out. it will have a slight bit of play, they all do as the bearings run in a film of oil when the engines running that takes up that slack. if its a great deal its knackered im afraid. :ph34r:

Turbo7379

I managed to get a look at the car yesterday . My sister was right , the noise was a high pitched whine varying with revs , very similiar to a police siren . :)

The design of the 307 sw means access to the turbo from the top of the engine is impossible as it sits under the bulkhead . :) Access from underneath isn't much better as everything like driveshafts , etc is in the way & you can't even see the turbo .

As pugger suggested I was just about able to get to it through the o/s wheel arch . The inlet pipe was held on by one bolt & once removed the pipe pulled off . Couldn't see the impeller but I could feel that there was quite a bit of free play in the shaft so I guess the bearings are worn .

She's managed to source a 2/h turbo for £150 from a local pug breaker . Looking at the location of the turbo I think that you would need to remove the front x-member to get access to it . I could probably do the job myself but it would take me twice as long without a car lift plus I would have to do it outside as my garage has 2 205's in it at the moment . She's getting it fitted by her mechanic next week as he has all the facilities & tools for the job .

Thanks for the help & advice guys . :P

Sign in to follow this