• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Longun

Drying Out A Car After A Water Leak?

Longun

Had a bad leak on the rear quarter window that resulted in a rear foot well with about 2" of water and as the car is stripped it had also filled the inside of the arch. I've sealed the window for now with sealant (not ideal but after seeing the prices of seals the best option for now) However how would you dry it out? I've soaked most up with sheets but there is still moisture in there I'm sure. Also it might have been like this for month or so would this speed up rusting? I can't see any but there is plenty of places for water to hide going to check the sills to be sure there ok tomorrow as well. Damb this rain and a car with gaps. On the plus side I think having an car swimming pool should add value <_<

Rob_the_Sparky

Drive the car around with heater and blower full on and a window open a crack.

If not driving then leave front windows open a crack.

Also remove anything that has soaked up loads of water and dry it out somewhere else (e.g. in the house)

Rob

boombang

Buy a huge bag of rice/flour - leave it in the car open whenever you aren't driving and it'll make a big difference.

I amd very lucky with my garage as it is inside the house (3 story townhouse) and therefore rather warm - my runaround had a leaky screen and with all windows open dried out in a weekend, but that is at 11 degrees ;)

Ryan

The rice trick is a good one.

Old newspapers also work. Leave a few lying around in the car and change them when they feel damp. Paper/rice soaks up the moisture in the air and lets the car dry out surprisingly quickly.

Rob_the_Sparky

I'll have to try rice - got a leaky heater matrix!!

scumbag

I've just got a few chamois cloths and use that to soak up all the leaks!!! That works fine. I spent most of today sat in my boot with a hose on the outside trying to find the leak. Hopefully the mass of silicon will have sorted it.

It doesnt look great but will do until I can get a new boot!!!

mossy

Common cooking salt left in the car. (in tubs)

Leave over night. Cheap as chips also you can reuse by sticking it in the mirco wave, break it up with a fork.

Al.

Ahl

I've got a big glass desiccator in my work that I use for drying samples.

Its filled with Silica gel.

Do you think it would soak up more than salt/rice?

Turbo7379

No matter how well you think you've dried out the car the sound proofing mat under the carpet will probably be soaking wet . The carpet is plastic backed & the floor is steel so any water in this mat is trapped & no amount of heating will dry it out .

The only way to dry it out properly is to remove all the seats , the handbrake surround & door seals & lift the carpet . Remove the mat & see if it's worth drying out . It is has been wet for a while it will smell revolting & will probably fall to bits . You'll have to cut around the centre console as the mat is trapped under that . You can replace the mat with thick underlay from a carpet shop .

When you have the mat out prop up the carpet & use a heater to dry out the back of the carpet & the floor .

If you can get the lend of a large dehumidifier it will speed up the process .

Longun

Carpets are coming out this weekend anyway as I've stripped the rear and the front needed doing. My fix didn't hold either as this morning I had a rear footwell full of water again.

Also got some in the front passenger well now, not sure where that is comming from as the bulk head feels dry, will get a better idea once the seats and carpets come out this weekend. The saga continues.

Cheers for the tips all once i've got the leaks fixed again I'll give it another drying out using one of the methods above and let you know how I get on.

Zed

I recently got mine back from the insurance after being stolen. It had been stored with the windows down so all 4 footwells were breeding frogs when i got it back.

I stripped everything out and jet sprayed the carpet nice and clean whilst out.

The soundproofing took days to dry!, this is having them roasting infront of a wood burning stove for 8hours a day, when you think they are dry make sure you give them another 1/2days over as the last thing you want is a damp/mouldy car!.... now my car smells fresher than it ever did, I wish i had of done it sooner.

Timmer205

I am currently in the same situation, removed the rear seats and found that the amp that the previous owner had installed had a real bodged wiring job. So i now have to sort that out before i can rip the carpet out!.

Neosophist

my Local ALDI store has mini dehumidifiers for £20.00, one of them in the car for a couple of days should help wonders. I was shocked how much water mine absorbed out the 106, then again the underlay type stuff was soaking wet.

(raising / removing carpet helps lots but it's a buggar to get out)

Sign in to follow this