• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
scumbag

Ultimate Ipod

scumbag

I have decided I am going to embark upon a journey of immense failures.

I am going to fully integrate an ipod into my cars centre console. Not just sticking it on there, but I am going to pull it to bits and try to wire it in fully and get it working well, maybe even using my old 80gb hard drive for some immense storage :rolleyes:

Reckon this is a good idea???

If so I will take pics when I start my project!

number2301

How are you going to transfer music to it :?

scumbag

The dock port and headphone ports will both be integrated into the coin tray below stereo and will use my laptop to transfer to these points

tagy

What do you mean wire it in fully?

all you need to do is connect the audio lead, and have some way to get at the controls? or get a head unit with iPod connection/adaptor and hide the ipod somewhere.

Or you want to make your own controls for the ipod built into your dash ?:rolleyes:

scumbag

I am going to do away with the ipod casing, remove the screen and mount it in the dash, either remove clickwheel or cut case to fit in a good place, then hide the internals behind the dash. Effectively building it into the car!!!

All I need is some ribbon cables which the local supplier has in order to be able to place the pcb's in the correct places <_<

All the ports will be mounted into the plastics to allow easy acces for updates, charging etc.

dommorton

What are you smoking?

scumbag
What are you smoking?

<_< Nothing. I need something to amuse myself with! I hate being bored! The iPod is a bit broken so I really need it to be caseless so I can make it start working again when it breaks down!!! Not being in the case would make it easier to sort the problem!! hahaha. sounds stupid I know. Oh well. Will give me something to do!!

MikeHunt79

This is doable... weather it will work or not depend on how well you do it. <_<

Be careful with ribbon cables... often they cannot be over a certain length due to signal timing... Digital electronics are often more fussy than analogue.

What I would do is keep the Ipod in it's case, and use an extension cable for the docking port.

You should be able install a PSU so the battery stays charged... maybe have it on a switch or relay so it only charges when your engine is on.

scumbag

I am considering a few options at the moment. I really wanted to get the click wheel out and flush fit it into a dash panel ( an easily replaceable one of course) and the same with the screen, and have the rest of the workings ina different location. Dunno yet!!

axnutty

Whats the point?

Dont want to sound negative...but I dont see the benefit. If you want to listen to your Ipod in your car get a transmitter was-a-ma-jig thing and listen to it via the radio.

524.jpg

MikeHunt79
Whats the point?

Dont want to sound negative...but I dont see the benefit. If you want to listen to your Ipod in your car get a transmitter was-a-ma-jig thing and listen to it via the radio.

524.jpg

AUX IN will have better sound quality better than that.

I guess if you really wanted the screen and wheel seperate, then it's possible. Try it all out of the car first, to see how much cable you can have between the wheel and screen.

I remember when modifying a laptop once, I could have the screen no more than 12inches from the laptop, otherwise the screen would start displaying garbage.

Also, be careful with that li-ion battery... they explode if you are not careful. See if you can run it directly off the mains charger.

Edited by MikeHunt79

axnutty
aux in will have better sound quality than that

Technically true, but I doubt you would ever notice the difference - especially in a car.

aeinstein
Technically true, but I doubt you would ever notice the difference - especially in a car.

i got a fm itrip thing, and its crap. every time you drive past a tv transmitter or something else that transmits a stronger signal, it goes fuzzy.

i got a tape adapter which looks gash, but sounds far better.

btw, why do this to a 205? does yours not have enough unreliable bits already? <_<

i know a lad who planned to put his laptop hardwired into his 1.9, with all kinds of trick bits attached, but we all laughed at him so he didn't.

205s should really be as light as possible, but i suppose a ipod is lighter than 500 cds...

al

axnutty

Hmm... a couple of my mates have got the FM transmitters and they havent once fuzzed - well not while ive been in the car which is for a good few miles now.

btw, why do this to a 205? does yours not have enough unreliable bits already?
<_<

scumbag

I had an iTrip and it gradually got worse the longer I used it. worth the money if you just want it for the odd occasion but not for anything else. I dunno yet, an ipod doesnt weigh bugger all, and as you said, will weigh less than the mass of cd's I have.

Dino

Just get yourself an iPod compatible head unit and save yourself all this hassle.

You can add songs to the iPod in the comfort of your own home and the head unit can let you browse through, albums, artists, individual tracks and playlists.

I have an Alpine HU that does this and I couldn't ask for anything more! The iPod cable is conveniently located in the glovebox. The whole thing is neat, convenient and hassle free <_<

GLPoomobile
:D Nothing. I need something to amuse myself with! I hate being bored! The iPod is a bit broken so I really need it to be caseless so I can make it start working again when it breaks down!!! Not being in the case would make it easier to sort the problem!! hahaha. sounds stupid I know. Oh well. Will give me something to do!!

No offense, but since you bought the car you have posted loads about various problems and things you need to sort out, so I would think you already have plenty to amuse yourself with :D

Talking from experience, you would do far better to focus all your attention and money in to making your 205 as mechanically sound as possible. Once you've done that you can concentrate on either performance or 'looks' (getting the bodywork/interior mint).

Focussing on little projects like this are just going to distract you, and what use will it be if you are driving an old, unreliable 205 riddled with problems (not that I'm suggesting yours is a heap ;) )

Edited by GLPoomobile

mak

Its an interesting idea, and it would look the nuts if you manage it...

Sign in to follow this