• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
christopher

Tu Cylinder Head Flow Results

PumaRacing
Dave a few questions from me

1) How come you never have seen a flowbench read LESS that the "actual" flow?

The most common thing to find wrong is the pressure tappings being in the wrong place. That will always lead to them reading a lower pressure drop than exists at the point of maximum restriction which leads to a higher flow reading than true. Maybe there's a bench out there that reads low but I just haven't seen one.

You say they always are spot on or read high, that doesn't make sense to me. There will always be variation on the benches, and some WILL read low and some WILL read high. But in the end it doesn't matter (IMHO) if it reads too high or too low, you always need the differences between the starting point and the progress. I really do not care if it shows 200CFM from start and it really only flows 180CFM - what I need to know is if the changes I make makes a difference, that I can see from before and after flows.

If you don't know the true flow then you don't know how close you are to ultimate targets from work by people like Annand and Roe who wrote the book on what ports and seats of different designs could flow.

2) Why are engine builders that get their hands dirty bad engine builders in your eyes?

I don't know what you mean. Do you think when I build an engine I somehow manage not to get my hands dirty?

3) I still do not understand why you not are willing to share flow data with others? Guy Croft does it in his forum (along with very good high-res pictures), I really can't see why you do not want to share your knowledge with others? What do you have to loose if all other engine builders do not understand the maths behind your work?

I don't understand why you think anyone, in any field of work, should give their R&D away.

pugrallye

I was going to ask a question, but reading through all that... I really cant be bothered

TB_205GTI
The most common thing to find wrong is the pressure tappings being in the wrong place. That will always lead to them reading a lower pressure drop than exists at the point of maximum restriction which leads to a higher flow reading than true. Maybe there's a bench out there that reads low but I just haven't seen one.

Ok.

If you don't know the true flow then you don't know how close you are to ultimate targets from work by people like Annand and Roe who wrote the book on what ports and seats of different designs could flow.

But honestly I do no care about that as long as I can see gains from my work. I do not port to get every single decimal out of it, I port it to improve it over a stock head. :)

I don't know what you mean. Do you think when I build an engine I somehow manage not to get my hands dirty?

I was thinking about your comment about people trying different solutions rather than sit behind a desk and calculate all the time

I don't understand why you think anyone, in any field of work, should give their R&D away.

In your own words it takes several years to learn to port a head properly, so giving away the flow figures won't harm anybody will it?

niklas
In your own words it takes several years to learn to port a head properly, so giving away the flow figures won't harm anybody will it?

But that's still DB's choice if he wants to or not.

Regardless of what people think of DB and his personality, he still has contributed with a lot of information on the forum so why not be happy with that?

christopher

Anyway guys this topic is not is not a dig at Puma so lets leave him alone now.. :D

This was merely for some of us to share some flow results or TU engines. So far I have not seen ANY...

So if anyone still would like to share their results here is the place :)

I still can't with all of those guys with 8V TU's on this forum noone has have any results at all..(except puma of course)

Edited by christopher

TKH

Have never been that interested in the flow achieved on a bench. Have always been more interested in the torque curve of the engine in situate. Think most tuners are the same. Hence why not many people know the bench for the heads.

RossD

Might be worth emailing this guy

http://pickard.engineeredbydesign.co.uk/

Looking at his website, he is making some rather extreme mods to a 1.3 106 rallye engine. Lots of juicy pictures too! :D

PumaRacing
I still can't with all of those guys with 8V TU's on this forum noone has have any results at all..(except puma of course)

As I told you above I've never flowtested a TU head.

TKH

RossD, You should have a loot at what GMC and Grass Track George have done in the past. Then you will see really radical work :D

RossD
RossD, You should have a loot at what GMC and Grass Track George have done in the past. Then you will see really radical work :o

Have you got any links?!

TKH

Only way you will see there work is going down to some race events and hope some one lets you near the car when the bonnets open. A hill climb is probably a good place to see a old example. I have seen at harewood hill climb one of Johns old open class engine and a few from George. Most successful motorsport tuning companies are very secretive about there work. After all it is how they make there living. I have one of Johns old works heads and that is good for over 170bhp out of a 1360cc 8V. But that is restricted by class regs and so does not look anything special. Its there open class heads that are really the interesting ones.

christopher
Might be worth emailing this guy

http://pickard.engineeredbydesign.co.uk/

Looking at his website, he is making some rather extreme mods to a 1.3 106 rallye engine. Lots of juicy pictures too!

Now that is pretty radical respacing the ports. I wonder how much difference that actually makes. Especially since it is just the middle ports

Rippthrough

Quite interesting to note that his chamber work is very similar to mine (bar the welding), I must have done something right for a change!

Edited by Rippthrough

TKH

Agree christopher. Especially when you consider the later lean burn engine such as that found in late Saxo VTRs already have port spacing very similar to what they have done. Yet most of the more radical engine still dont use this setup.

Sign in to follow this