• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
phonecomz

[car_overhaul] Pug 205 Engine Rebuild + Twin 40's

M@tt

badda bing, badda fookin bling!!! :D

veryvery nice mate well done

Dave87

looks awsome, was there a reason why you had the head bolts in when you where doing the rings and what did you use for cleaning the block nice work

Edited by Dave87

smckeown

great thread. Love seing engine build pics. Car looks sweet too.

les3002

lovely job on that engine mate, looks like it just came from the factory :rolleyes:

phonecomz

Many thanks guys for the comments, well appreciated :)

In reply to Dave87 - I used headbolts just to keep liners still so i could rotate engine to attach mains without disturbing seals. It has taken some real hard work to clean :P

I started first by just using a degreaser which i used for many years in the trade. Ive used gunk, jizer and a whole load of other truck washes and stuff but nothing seems to work as well as this stuff does, i use it over and over again too as i catch it in cat litter trays then save it. :D

Im shall be selling it on ebay in the next few weeks as i am due a consignment and it seems to sell really well.

After removing the first initial oil and crap with it you always still end up with the oxidization/ingrained muck thats just sits in every nook and crevis. For this i used a combination of a few small wire brush heads on the end of a drill for the heavy stuff and for some smaller hidden corners, various dremel attachments until every thing was totally back to a bare surface. Then i used two coats of aluminum high cote. Not silver for me as it looks a little too brite for my liking, then finally a coat of clear laquer(high temp).

I suppose some may say it over the top to go to all that as it will be dirty in no time, but for me i like to get it looking a1 if i can.

Went to peugeot today to get some anti roll bar bushes for the 309 gti subframe, but it seems they dont sell them anymore. :( so will be sourcing some new ones tomorrow elsewhere.

taylorspug

Whats the name of the degreaser you will be selling on Ebay, i could do with some really good stuff for much the same thing (cleaning engines before painting them). Let me know and i will probably have some off you. :)

Dave87
Many thanks guys for the comments, well appreciated :)

In reply to Dave87 - I used headbolts just to keep liners still so i could rotate engine to attach mains without disturbing seals. It has taken some real hard work to clean :blush:

I started first by just using a degreaser which i used for many years in the trade. Ive used gunk, jizer and a whole load of other truck washes and stuff but nothing seems to work as well as this stuff does, i use it over and over again too as i catch it in cat litter trays then save it. :lol:

Im shall be selling it on ebay in the next few weeks as i am due a consignment and it seems to sell really well.

After removing the first initial oil and crap with it you always still end up with the oxidization/ingrained muck thats just sits in every nook and crevis. For this i used a combination of a few small wire brush heads on the end of a drill for the heavy stuff and for some smaller hidden corners, various dremel attachments until every thing was totally back to a bare surface. Then i used two coats of aluminum high cote. Not silver for me as it looks a little too brite for my liking, then finally a coat of clear laquer(high temp).

I suppose some may say it over the top to go to all that as it will be dirty in no time, but for me i like to get it looking a1 if i can.

Went to peugeot today to get some anti roll bar bushes for the 309 gti subframe, but it seems they dont sell them anymore. :D so will be sourcing some new ones tomorrow elsewhere.

spent ages on mine couldn't get rid of all the dirt/oil mix on the block but the head i just got acid dipped sorted. Yours shows the hardwrok mate.

Cheers for the head bolt answer.

Longun

The engine of dreams. Looking really nice. Trouble is as said its almost to good to go back into a car.

phonecomz
Whats the name of the degreaser you will be selling on Ebay, i could do with some really good stuff for much the same thing (cleaning engines before painting them). Let me know and i will probably have some off you. :P

If you PM next week (Wednesday ish) i should have some, or keep watching the sales section as i might try it their if i get enough interest. I should have some next week now so if you pm me i will get some too you. comes in 4 litre tub. Named LS1 Engine Cleaner and now not available elsewhere as today we have now purchased the rights to this product to sell as a sole distributor, when all is finalised later this week hopefully.

spent ages on mine couldn't get rid of all the dirt/oil mix on the block but the head i just got acid dipped sorted. Yours shows the hardwrok mate.

Cheers for the head bolt answer.

I've had stuff acid dipped before but i have had re-actions after painting so i thought id take the long route. :-) god it's well quicker though ...lol

The engine of dreams. Looking really nice. Trouble is as said its almost to good to go back into a car.

Yeah, i had a freind come round today who's the first person to see it in the flesh. He said, while shaking his head, that i was mad to go to all that trouble on an a 205 engine and said i was a fool... Hmmmm :) though he did think it looked like something off overhauling and was too good to put back in.

The moral of that is i think "if you dont own a 205, you wouldn't understand !" :D

Longun
Yeah, i had a freind come round today who's the first person to see it in the flesh. He said, while shaking his head, that i was mad to go to all that trouble on an a 205 engine and said i was a fool... Hmmmm :) though he did think it looked like something off overhauling and was too good to put back in.

The moral of that is i think "if you dont own a 205, you wouldn't understand !" :P

Sounds about right. I think most on here would say your perfectly normal :D

Edited by Longun

Edp

Just noticed this thread. Lovely looking car and a great job on that lump, hats of to you fella!

jtek

that car and engine will be too clean to drive!!

M_R_205

i want to hug it and stroke it.... makes me want to take mine back out and give it a good ass clean!

paul_portsmouth

have you laquered the polished parts as well ??? would it not make them easier to clean

prob talking rubbish

phonecomz
have you laquered the polished parts as well ??? would it not make them easier to clean

prob talking rubbish

Hi paul - No i have not laquered anything i have polished. i would guess that in time the metal would still tarnish and cause problems...

Juz

wow that engine looks amazingly clean, definitely museum worthy :wacko:

can't wait to see this when it's all done, make sure you don't come to any of the regional meets though cos it would put mine to shame :)

daza4

Sweet looking good.

Will be worth it all when done. Did you say that you were going to refurb the engine bay aswell???

Where is the baby seat going to be fitted???

phonecomz
wow that engine looks amazingly clean, definitely museum worthy :P

can't wait to see this when it's all done, make sure you don't come to any of the regional meets though cos it would put mine to shame :P

me too, its getting a bit slow due to other commitments and hic cups. Will be coming to regional meets when done eventually, but with the time delay at present that might be a while...

Sweet looking good.

Will be worth it all when done. Did you say that you were going to refurb the engine bay aswell???

Where is the baby seat going to be fitted???

thanks fella, yeah going to strip it down a little more yet and refurb that also, baby seat... gulp baby SEAT.... aAARRGGHHHHH ! not sure about that yet.... lol, not sure he stand he noise with the magnex, would be deaf in a year... lol

mickie

i see you checked the main bearings with plastiguage but did you miss out the big ends?

where did you get your clearances from? the engine looks sweet non the less, good work

All Praise The GTI

just saw this tread wanted to give you some more respect... amazing job your doing there, only wish i had some of that time patience and skill.

what method do you use to polish??? any tricks?

justinv

Any tricks and maybe steps how you cleaned the dist ? and other parts that are difficult to clean

and btw great job, trying to make something similar but i doubt it.

Guest Frittjoff

very nice job, looking forward to see it all finished!

cheers

phonecomz

Hi All

It's been a long time since i have had chance to restart back on the Project due to the birth of my Son, nappies and sleepless nights etc. Not to mention freezing weather and all, but finally i have had chance to get some work done.

I started back by refurbing the 309 GTI subrame, wishbones and Roll bar.

I started by degreasing it first then power washing with a hot wash and truck wash to get inside the box section and remove the crap. Next i Stripped the rust back from it which took for ever not having any blasting equipment. Got all rust off and zinc primed the subframe and finally painted it.

Next onto the Wishbones. They were in pretty poor condition but ball joints were A1. After cleaning them i removed the wishbone arm bushes as they were totally shot and replaced them with originals i picked up on the bay. Nightmare to remove but perseverance paid off in the end.

Painted Both arms after a coating of Zinc Primer.

I then renewed the Ball joint boots (which if anyone wants any i can sell them some, PM me for more info).

After this i purchased a complete new set of high tensile nuts bolts + washers from my local bolt shop and put it all back together. After stripping and painting the ARB and adding some new bushes it now looks like this...

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k21/phon...16012008223.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k21/phon...16012008226.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k21/phon...16012008221.jpg

Some minor bits to finish and another section done.

Since last year i have been thinking if i should fit the twin dellorto's and Magnex system i have ? The bits that i am posative about fitting for sure are the front and rear 309 setup and the gti 180 front brakes, and maybe keep the rest set up as standard, other than the work i have done already on the engine.

Im considering the pro's and cons, ie fuel and noise and such and if the benefits will be worth it.... ? Any thoughts out their from people who have upgraded to carbs and a magnex let me know if you would as i cant decide .... :huh:

Edited by cybernck
HUGE image, do not re-edit!

danpug

Fuel consumption definitely decreases with carbs, the noise is immense though. If you have the bits there then do it i say.

phonecomz

yeah got all the bit's, regs, facet pump, braided hose, itg filter, and all rest of bits, so may just carry on but still cant decide 100%

Anyone running a 1.9 on twin 40's ? what are you getting mpg. IIRC fromn years back the 1.9gti end up about 22mpg... ? Can someone confirm this ?

Edited by phonecomz