• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Jazz

Leaky Pipe?

Jimmy Jazz

My car has recently started to leak water; over the last week it has got much worse to the point where I may be topping up 3 times a day on 40-50 mile round trip...

I have had a look under the car but cannot see exactly where it is dripping from but it does have a definite drip on it...

Are there any pipes which have a tendancy to break???

James

t16ryan

Where is it from front/back/ O/S or N/S ?

Jimmy Jazz

Sorry should have said, it is at the front; nto quite central, more drivers side than any...

J

Jrod

Hose off the bottom of the rad? that's front drivers side.

t16ryan

central ish may be water pump?

Guest rick03054

Could be anywhere really, dripping down and off miles from where it started :( . Have to have a good look.

My moneys on the metal pipe on the drivers inner wing though.

Jimmy Jazz

It appears that the culprit is a bust water pump. I have put some of that weld stuff into the header tank in an attemp to seal up the hole...

It seems to have done the job; there is still a little leakage but nothing like it was before...

I suppose the next job is a replacement water pump... Where is the best place to pick one of these up from? Any idea of cost??? I am guessing it is a fairly easy job but my little pug is very good at throwing surprises at me...

James

Jer309GTi

GSF would be a good bet. I changed mine not so long ago. You will need the pump (should come with the gasket), a new cambelt, cambelt tensioner (optional but recommended), some anti-freeze and if you haven't done it before, a Haynes manual gives a good guide on what to do.

Pump was £15, belt was £8, can't remember prices for the rest.

Hope thats some help :rolleyes:

trogboy

Hey Jimmy,

Not the easiest of jobs if you are not confident with a spanner as like hinted at before you need to remove the timing belt as it drives the water pump. Further to the pervious costs the timing belt tensioner will cost you about £20 so I would budget around £55-60 for the whole job.

Can you see where the coolant is coming from? Is it defintely coming from the left hand side of the water pump housing which would almost definitley be one of the seals relating to the water pump? If it is coming from the right hand side (almost beneath the inlet manifold) then there is still hope before removing the pump.

Ad

Sign in to follow this