• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Neosophist

Fitting An Airbag Steeringwheel In Non Airbag Car

Neosophist

I have a 106 and i've recently brought a nicer gti steering wheel, i'm not fussed about airbag functionality it just feels nicer than my worn out std non-airbag wheel, if I fit this is there any chance it'll just explode? I don't know much about airbag wheels so I don't want to risk just fitting it, i've had a search of the forums and the net and couldn't find much.

My 106 has a little metal box in the middle of the floor near the bulkhead which orange wires that run to under the front seats (I think there something to do with seatbelt tensioning / airbag sesnors?) but the car has never had airbags fitted so I don't know if that makes any difference.

Any help is appreciated.

Many thanks,

Martin.

Rob_the_Sparky

You aren't meant to handle them, let alone drive with one fitted. I can't think of anything worse than it going off while you are driving. If you can get the air bag removed then fine, but remember that the thing is an explosive...not a good idea to mess around with.

Having said that I could just be believing the scare stories but I certainly wouldn't use it with the air bag still in there...

Rob

Richie-Van-GTi

Ive got an airbag steering wheel off my 306, its been off the car and chucked all over the shed and garage for 2 years, must have had a lot of heavy impacts as well and its still never gone off.

inferno
I have a 106 and i've recently brought a nicer gti steering wheel, i'm not fussed about airbag functionality it just feels nicer than my worn out std non-airbag wheel, if I fit this is there any chance it'll just explode? I don't know much about airbag wheels so I don't want to risk just fitting it, i've had a search of the forums and the net and couldn't find much.

My 106 has a little metal box in the middle of the floor near the bulkhead which orange wires that run to under the front seats (I think there something to do with seatbelt tensioning / airbag sesnors?) but the car has never had airbags fitted so I don't know if that makes any difference.

Any help is appreciated.

Many thanks,

Martin.

to explode an airbag, plug it onto 12v , from a distance! if you face the front of the wheel down the wheel will jump from 2-20feet in the air which is quite ammusing for the small minded of us :)

id suggest exploding the airbag before fitting to your car, just for peice of mind. ive heard tell of broken noses through airbags bursting for no reason.

Edited by inferno

Rob_the_Sparky

Wouldn't blowing the bag destroy the wheel though?

Guest rick03054

If you do that record it and post the video on here :)

boombang

Remind me I have an old airbag unit in the garage along with my spare car battery...

methinks I will have to blow it!

welshpug

very apt with your username alex :)

Owain1602

there shouldnt be any way possible for it to go off if you dont connect it to anything because the igniter needs electricity to ignite. I would happily use an airbag as a pillow at night. People are only scared of them becuae they dont understand.

Rob_the_Sparky

Depends how much current it takes to set them off...

Having said that I'd agree about lack of knowledge = scary. The marketing machine works well!

Do they need a significant current to set them off?

Rob

benje

Here's one I made earlier 12v across the terminals. The important things to listen to here is my mom almost having a heart attack, and the fact that the airbag was tight in the workmate!

Airbag in the backgarden

Richie-Van-GTi

who's that laughing...ROFL

benje

Hahah its my dad, I know he sounds like a weirdo. Thats his "We shouldnt really be doing this but its funny" laugh!

hengti

just out of interest - how is the airbag wheel fitted to the column? i'm assuming it's not with a nut in this case - otherwise you'd have to take the bag out to get to the nut anyway - ? dunno

personally, i wouldn't want to drive my car sat infront of a pyrotechnic charge that shouldn't be there - maybe talk to a dealer to see what they think - ? basically, ask someone you can blame if anything goes wrong!

l

\/ - ah! cheers

Edited by hengti

boombang

Big nut as per usual and the airbag bolts to the wheel body with screws from behind

ORB

Working in a dealership, we often have to remove Pre-Tensioners and Airbags from cars.

We end up with a big ole pile of them after a month or so.

So....

Every now and then we play at bang bangs :)

Its ace, the pre tensioners on some cars are awesome, and if you slot them into an old exhaust pipe and put a golf ball in after it and press the pop button, much fun can be had.

Of course, I would never reccomend this to anyone as it is immature and irresponsible.

Neosophist

Wow, so many replies! Much thanks.

I've got the whole steering column off the donor car so i'll compare it with mine, check to see where the connections are etc see if mine has possible voltage running through it.

The explosion thing sounds funny though so I know what to do if in doubt! :):lol:

If it comes down to that, i'll make sure I record it :P

Cheers guys.

Sign in to follow this