• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GLPoomobile

Wheel Bearing On It's Way Or Duff Cv?

GLPoomobile

At speeds over 50mph, if I apply any degree of steering to the right I get a loud humming noise, which I think is coming from the nearside front wheel.

On the motorway at the weekend, I only had to give it a tiny bit of movement to the right (about 1 degree, enough to correct for slight, gentle, right sweeping curves) and the humming would start.

Is that likely to be a wheel bearing or CV joint?

jonnie205

could be either mate but cv is more likely

veloce200
At speeds over 50mph, if I apply any degree of steering to the right I get a loud humming noise, which I think is coming from the nearside front wheel.

On the motorway at the weekend, I only had to give it a tiny bit of movement to the right (about 1 degree, enough to correct for slight, gentle, right sweeping curves) and the humming would start.

Is that likely to be a wheel bearing or CV joint?

how many miles? my pug has a genuine 59,000 miles and both wheel bearings were shot and recently replaced. driveshafts still fine.

swordfish210

well CV joints knock and wheels bearings grumble, so you decide. Sounds to me like its a wheels bearing though. Quick test, grab the driveshaft and try to turn it front to back witht he car stationary. There should be no play at all if its got good CV's

pugpete1108

if its humming i would ebb towards bearing , had this on mine and i thought it was the shafts but i changed them (for the tune of 125 squid) and it still did it , i changed the bearing on the side the noise was coming from but its still did it. so i changed the other side an dit was a dented/worn outer bearing race . after that it was fine , but i goes to show it could be either

veloce200
i changed the bearing on the side the noise was coming from but its still did it. so i changed the other side an dit was a dented/worn outer bearing race . after that it was fine , but i goes to show it could be either

that was exactly my experience to ! very annoying !

Ahl
that was exactly my experience to ! very annoying !

As above!

scumbag

Jack up the car, grip the wheel and check for play. This should confirm the bearing. I would go with bearing as CV is more of a knocking noise.

HTH

Brambles
Jack up the car, grip the wheel and check for play. This should confirm the bearing. I would go with bearing as CV is more of a knocking noise.

HTH

Yes, and another test spin the wheel by hand and listen.

veloce200
Yes, and another test spin the wheel by hand and listen.

but just in case you think it passes those tests mine did and both were still humming!

pugrallye

The 'correct' way of checking wheel bearings is to run front wheels up to say 50mph and feel vibration through the strut, as using just your ears can be deceptive, as final drive bearings also wear out and get mistakenly diagnosed (also driveshaft intermediate bearing which hums its head off at higher speeds)

Sign in to follow this