• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
newdean0

Starter Motor Problem

newdean0

Hi,

I recently got a reconditioned starter for my car and occasionally you turn the key and can here the starter spinning but the engine doesn't turn. I don't really understand how this can happen as the mechanism which closes the contacts also moves the gear across to engage the flywheel so the motor should never spin before it is engaged.

Anyone had something similar? Is it likely to fail soon?

Cheers

Dean

sonofsam

Can you see the flywheel spinning, there is a black plastic cap you can take off the gearbox to inspect.

You got Fuel and spark i take it?

newdean0

No, the engine doesn't spin at all (I can see the fan belt pulley). Fuel and spark aren't the problem as if the engine is rotating it fires up fine.

Unless you are suggesting the ring gear is slipping on the flywheel; but then I'd expect that to happen every time, not just every 7th or 8th start.

Ahl

Its sounds more like the starter solenoid isn't pushing the starter gear onto the ring gear.

It could be faulty or perhaps not wired up correctly.

ablister

best to take the starter off again and test it by earthing the body and bridging the solenoid + positive cable connection with 12v. The solenoid should push the pinion out and also turn the starter

Sign in to follow this