• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ANDYMISIXTEEN

Alloy Fuel Tank/fuel System

ANDYMISIXTEEN

Just won an alloy fuel tank on ebay, am i alright mounting it in the back? Is there anything i need to do with the tank, will i be ok running stereo equipment in the back to? Im running Carbs on an Mi16,should i put my pacet fuel pump next to the tank or under the car or in the engine bay? Should i run a swirl pot?

Does it matter which way up the pump goes? Here is where the pump is temporarily installed.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g56/DJMISFIT1/S7000148.jpg

Edited by ANDYMISIXTEEN

sutol

I was thinking off adding an alloy fuel tank but couldn't decide if it would be lighter than a plastic one and also it would need to be mounted very low which would mean cutting the boot floor.

I've never done it but just a train of thought.

Can't help with the swirl pot but I think it's only needed for injection systems but I'm sure someone will put me right if I'm wrong.

Nice engine bay by the way :)

Kitsune

I'm doing the same. Make sure the tank is properly secured in the boot. If you have a solid state pump, it needs to be within 12" of the tank and at tank level I believe, if its a cylindrical type pump, it doesnt really matter where it goes, although I have noticed a lot of people run them in the boot, most people with carb'd 205s run them in the bay (as I did), and that was mounted on the inner wing where the jack would have been (plenty of space there).

There should be an arrow on your pump for In and Out, other than that, not sure it matters which way up it goes.

ANDYMISIXTEEN

Is there any risk of fire running stereo equipment near the tank?

Batfink

you will need a vent for gases I think - make sure it goes outside :)

ANDYMISIXTEEN

U mean a breather pipe?

ANDYMISIXTEEN

Anyone got a pic of an alloy tank in the back of a 205?

Edited by ANDYMISIXTEEN

sutol
Anyone got a pic of an alloy tank in the back of a 205?

Get a medium size cardboard box from Tesco , paint it silver and place it in the middle of the boot space. :):D

butpug

I would say that putting an alloy tank in the boot is retrograde to having the standard plastic one under the floor, don't you think?

All that weight much higher up is a bad thing. In my opinion I'd stick with the standard item. :D

Edit;

Plus the weight would be further back than standard. Your corner weights would be improved but polar moment would be worse too.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

Edited by butpug

ANDYMISIXTEEN

Having torun a tank in the boot because of the wheels rubbing on the filler hose. Anyone got any other ideas?

Kitsune

Yeah but you could just cut the floor out and fit the tank lower (I'm sure someone on here has done that).

I only got mine as it was cheap and being foam filled should hopefully restrict fuel surge. I've seen a few pugs in race series that run with alloy tanks. Not sure if this is to do with regs or not though.

I'd be concerned if the wheels were rubbing on the hoses. Is the car decked?

ANDYMISIXTEEN

309 beam is down 35mm and front matched on coilovers, got 19s on at the mow but going to either 18s or 17s. Heard it scrubs on 17s. Think the tank ive gots to big, i need to measure it and work out the volume.

Malachy
309 beam is down 35mm and front matched on coilovers, got 19s on at the mow but going to either 18s or 17s. Heard it scrubs on 17s. Think the tank ive gots to big, i need to measure it and work out the volume.

19s on a 205 bet that handles well :/

Sign in to follow this