• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rob_the_Sparky

Changing A Heater Matrix

Rob_the_Sparky

Haynes says take out the heater then take out matrix from heater. However, tried this on a scrap car and taking the heater out is an absolute nightmare.

It looks like the pipes to the matrix can be disconnected from the matrix and then the matrix just pulled out. Any reason this can't be done?

Also anyone out there with experience of replacing a matrix - how did you do it and how hard...

Cheers

Rob

pug_ham

Dead easy & a couple of hours work;

• Drain the cooling sytem.
  • Remove drivers lower dash panel (by your knee's).
  • You should now be able to see two metal pipes going into the heater matrix under the dash. Two diagonally opposite screws hold these in. Prepare for some water loss when you remove these as they don't empty with the rest of the coolant.
  • The heater matrix is held in by two screws to the heater console. Remove these & it should slide out sideways towards you.
  • Refit reverse of above & bleed cooling system by two bleed screws (one on heater hose near bulkhead & one on thermostat housing, usually sheared plastic but sometimes brass allen screw.

I usually also remove the centre console for more access but I don't have a stereo so its not hard to do. Others with a stereo say it can be done without removing it.

Graham.

hengti

it is possible to do without removing centre console :)

welshpug

lol, seeing as 205 wasnt mentioned in the title of the original post can someone give me pointers for mine?

P2 405, no aircon... :)

Rob_the_Sparky

Cool, figured that it should be possible like that. Haynes is such a joke sometimes...

Thanks all

Rob

Anton green

haynes screwed me over on this. FULL DASH OUT JOB. As soon as I'd put it all back together I realised haynes were not worth paying attention to ever again due to the fact the matrix is accessible in a tenth of the time and hassle. If not more than that.

I agree, the drivers side lower dash panel can be removed to get access to the matrix. I wish I knew what I know now back then, but haynes was my only companion :)

hengti

bump! :)

i know how you must feel though as i did exactly the same - removed the entire dashboard entirely needlessly - v annoying! i don't know if there are any other howlers like this one in the Haynes book but it was the only one i came across.

johnsimister
bump! :D

i know how you must feel though as i did exactly the same - removed the entire dashboard entirely needlessly - v annoying! i don't know if there are any other howlers like this one in the Haynes book but it was the only one i came across.

Well, there's the instruction to remove the starter motor when you're taking the gearbox out, referring you to the chapter on fuel systems so you know how to remove the inlet manifold which is in the way. All unnecessary, of course, as the starter car stay put with its rear mounting bolts holding it in position when the bolts clamping it to engine and gearbox are removed.

And later Haynes editions don't tell you how to replace the rear beam bearings, saying instead that it's a job for the dealer even though earlier editions did cover the job. That is close to unforgivable.

John

Jrod

It's becuase they built it in as a fault so people would take their 205's in to be repaired, didn't like it that people might do it themselves and they get less £££! :D

Sign in to follow this