• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
scumbag

How Can I Tell....

scumbag

If I definitely have a 1.9 engine in my car? Is there any easy check to do which will prove what engine I have? Thanks!

welshpug

engine number, block-sump spacer, colour of injectors.

wether it has an oil cooler.

Edited by welshpug

t16ryan

yellow injectors? spacer plate between the sump and block there the best give away :angry:

scumbag

For a novice, how would I find all of this out. Sorry for my double post mods!!!

welshpug

look in the engien bay...

scumbag

I have looked in mine and in a 1.6 down the scrapper and can see no difference!!!!

would my engine number (on log book) help???

Simes
I have looked in mine and in a 1.6 down the scrapper and can see no difference!!!!

would my engine number (on log book) help???

No, the engine is easily changed and to the very untrained eye looks the same as a 1.9.

The log book may never have been changed, many haven't.

Just follow the instructions already posted.

Anthony

Simply, look at the engine code above the alternator - D6B is a 1.9

Look at the colour of the injectors - yellow is 1.9, blue is 1.6

Look between the sump and the block - if there's a spacer, it's a 1.9

welshpug
No, the engine is easily changed and to the very untrained eye looks the same as a 1.9.

The log book may never have been changed, many haven't.

Just follow the instructions already posted.

This kinda thing will cease to occur as the first thing checked in the computerised MOT is the VIN's, including the engine number, though if you buy a car between MOT's theres always the chance of it happening.

dommorton

That's if they bother to check!

Edited by dommorton

scumbag

What do i have to do to check the colour of the injectors? Do I have to remove anything?? Thanks guys!

scumbag

Yellow injectors!!! Couldn't find the engine number though! Checked around the alternator but couldn't find anything! Where should it be!?!?

steve@cornwall
Yellow injectors!!! Couldn't find the engine number though! Checked around the alternator but couldn't find anything! Where should it be!?!?

directly above the bracket that the alternator bolts to- above the allen-headed bolt, there is a "platform" (about 50-60mmx12mm) stepped out from the block,before the bottom of the head-the engine number should be embossed on an aluminium "foil" fixed to the top- it's often missing,though.

Now lie on your side in front of the car- look up from the bottom of the engine. where the sump fixes to the bottom of the block, there will be a 10mm spacer between the two on a 1.9- not used on a 1.6. Hope it's usefull

Edited by steve@cornwall

Anthony
This kinda thing will cease to occur as the first thing checked in the computerised MOT is the VIN's, including the engine number, though if you buy a car between MOT's theres always the chance of it happening.

I've never known an engine number be checked on an MOT - it would be completely inpractical to, seeing as some engines have the engine number in a place where it's very difficult to see, and others have long since shed their engine number. The chassis VIN is of course (usually :angry:) checked though....

I suspect that the engine number would be checked as part of a VIC test mind you.

steve@cornwall
I've never known an engine number be checked on an MOT - it would be completely inpractical to, seeing as some engines have the engine number in a place where it's very difficult to see, and others have long since shed their engine number. The chassis VIN is of course (usually B)) checked though....

I suspect that the engine number would be checked as part of a VIC test mind you.

Can't log onto the computer without a vin.- never had the engine no. checked

scumbag

Many thanks. Engine number is not there. However, I have just satisfied myself by managing to stay in front of my mates 2.5 v6 vectra sri from a rolling start @40mph. Was good up until I changed to 5th I think!

Simes

My original engine number had never been recorded on the V5, my Mi engine hasn't been either.

Edited by Simes

pug_ham

3822numbers.jpg

Engine number / ID plate is arrow #1.

Graham.

scumbag

Mine is definitely missing. I can see the places where they are supposed to be but there is nothing there. Oh well!

Sign in to follow this