• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
willxs

Warped Head

willxs

i think the head for an engine im planning on rebuilding maybe slightly warped.

question is, is it reuseable with just a skim? or am i going to have to source another one?

Cheers, will

Richie-Van-GTi

best option is take it to a machine shop and have them check it, they wont skim it if its beyond use.

willxs

ok. thanx for the quick reply :angry:

ALEX

You can Skim upto 2mm off the standard XU 8valve head apparently.

Though I wouldn't take that much off as You will get pre ignition issues, unless your fitting a programmable ECU.

Edited by ALEX

willxs

its an S16 head. just stripping it down at the moment then will take it to a machine shop (along with the block for a skim) and see what they say. then its off for a clean :)

butpug
Though I wouldn't take that much off as You will get pre ignition issues, unless your fitting a programmable ECU.

How would a programmable ECU prevent detonation due to high comp. ratio? ;)

Wouldn't you would have to lower the compression ratio?!

ALEX
How would a programmable ECU prevent detonation due to high comp. ratio? :)

Wouldn't you would have to lower the compression ratio?!

The ignition advance on the standard set up is controlled by the Dizzy.

This is a crappy linear advance as it is controlled with bob weights on springs inside the dizzy.

In time these springs get stiff/relax messing up the timing on older engines causing Detonation/pre-ignition.

Also if you were to take a large chunk off the head i.e. 2mm the standard advance would be too much.

You could retard the timing to compensate but then that’s a compromise on power.

If you were to fit a programmable ECU you could replace the dizzy fit coil packs and set up the ignition to what best suits the engine.

Learnt all that from PPC magazine, It's a good read :D .

Edited by ALEX

Mikey S

put a straight edge on it (i usually use a metal ruler) and measure with feeler gauges. im unsure what the max warp is but you can usually find out in the haynes manual.

Guest BrainFluid

They will preform a leak test on the head at the shop , correct me if I'm wrong but I'm 90% sure the head will need the valves in to do this. Mine did anyway he said just to leave them in.

Guest BrainFluid
If you were to fit a programmable ECU you could replace the dizzy fit coil packs and set up the ignition to what best suits the engine.

Sure but with too high a comp ratio would it not be the case of the ECU igniting the squish before it self detonated. Good to avoid but not really what best suits the engine. Hypothectically speaking of course.

butpug

2mm sounds like a hell of a lot to me, but then I'm not used to dealing with those kind of details. I suppose it depends on standard comp ratio and bore size, which will be different for different engines.

If we were to take 2mm off some of the heads we deal with at work youd end up with no valve seats!

B1ack_Mi16
2mm sounds like a hell of a lot to me, but then I'm not used to dealing with those kind of details. I suppose it depends on standard comp ratio and bore size, which will be different for different engines.

If we were to take 2mm off some of the heads we deal with at work youd end up with no valve seats!

I've heard it's normal to try to bend the head straight if it's heavily warped.

Then you skim it afterwards to make it 100% straight on head-gasket mating face.

Only skimming it would make the camshaft bearing bores still beeing out of alignment.

butpug

Never really thought of that. Jeez it starts to sound quite messy! :unsure:

Edited by butpug

ALEX
Sure but with too high a comp ratio would it not be the case of the ECU igniting the squish before it self detonated. Good to avoid but not really what best suits the engine. Hypothectically speaking of course.

Covered topics that might be useful here

link

link2

2mm skim is possible and the engine can tuned to avoid pinking. But if you use the standard ignition and fuling map then I imagine it will pink like buggery.

Edited by ALEX

Sign in to follow this