• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest rick03054

Xud9 And Mi16 Cranks

Guest rick03054

I'm sure I've read somewhere that the XUD9 crank is the same as an mi crank. I can't find any topics that confirm it though, only ones where people ask the same question :blush:

I can't see why they would do it since it's not like they rev high! But what do I know about the peugeot mindset?!

Anyone know for sure?

M3Evo

Don't know for sure but I've a feeling that the diesel only has 4 counterweights whereas the Mi16 has 8.

That's just from the dim and distant memory of a similar post a few years ago though :blush:

Sorry that's not much help :(

Edited by M3Evo

Mandic

XUD9TE Crank : 0501 E2

ZN05A70A.gif

Cheers

Ziga

M3Evo
-_- alternatively I could be (and am) completely wrong :)

Kev-G

XUD crank doesn't appear to have the chamfer's on the counterweights to clear the oil spray bars (and I'm sure I've also heard this mentioned before).

POSSIBLY S16 oil spray's in an Mi block will provide clearance (or indeed XUD crank in a S16 block would be OK)

B1ack_Mi16
XUD crank doesn't appear to have the chamfer's on the counterweights to clear the oil spray bars (and I'm sure I've also heard this mentioned before).

POSSIBLY S16 oil spray's in an Mi block will provide clearance (or indeed XUD crank in a S16 block would be OK)

The cranks that have only 4 counterweights have them placed on the side there's no oil-spray-bar anyway, so it will not be a problem.

Did you know the BTCC S16 cranks only have 4 counterweights btw? :angry:

Edited by B1ack_Mi16

James_m

And S16 spray bars dont fit the alloy mi16's

Hilgie

Physically the Mi16 and XUD9 (1.9D) cranks are the same. So they can be interchanged without probs. Done this a few times now as good Mi cranks are quite hard to get.

JeffR

Sorry to go slightly OT.

Are these diesel cranks forged? If so, would make a good base for a high performance Mi engine.

B1ack_Mi16
Sorry to go slightly OT.

Are these diesel cranks forged? If so, would make a good base for a high performance Mi engine.

Afaik only 2.1 TD cranks and 405 T16 cranks are forged.

XU11D and XU10J4TE.

TB_205GTI
Physically the Mi16 and XUD9 (1.9D) cranks are the same. So they can be interchanged without probs. Done this a few times now as good Mi cranks are quite hard to get.

MI16 crank: 0501 E0

XUD9/XUD7: 0501 H1

XUD7TE: 0501 E2

The MI16 and the XUD9 cranks are not the same! But there is no problems in interchanging them.

sutol

Whilst I've got your attention, and wiesels have been mentioned, is it worth stripping my old turbo diesel for heavy duty bits and will they interchange with anything ?

Thoughts are that the gearbox and driveshafts may be stronger and is the clutch a heavy duty item? I suppose it would be wishfull thinking that it may be very strong and fit the Mi motor. :)

Guest rick03054
MI16 crank: 0501 E0

XUD9/XUD7: 0501 H1

XUD7TE: 0501 E2

The MI16 and the XUD9 cranks are not the same! But there is no problems in interchanging them.

So they are the same apart from the chamfer? does anyone have pics of them so we can see the difference/similarity?

I have 2 reasons for asking, (S16 and TT engines) one I think is answered by Kev G,

indeed XUD crank in a S16 block would be OK)

But the other is about putting an MI16 crank in a TT engine, I stripped my engine and I've seen a couple of sources say that an MI crank is a worthwhile addition (see mad profs engine). I know the turbo doesn't need to rev as much but whats the consensus here?

butpug

I would be careful here. The counterweights are usually matched with 2/3 the mass of the con-rod. So if the rods are different between diesel and Mi, then the counterweights will be wrong.

M3Evo
The counterweights are usually matched with 2/3 the mass of the con-rod

Thought that was just for single cylinder engines? :angry:

PumaRacing
I would be careful here. The counterweights are usually matched with 2/3 the mass of the con-rod. So if the rods are different between diesel and Mi, then the counterweights will be wrong.

The counterweights aren't matched to anything other than themselves on a 4 cylinder engine. It's dual plane V8s that require cranks balanced to the rods/pistons and in any case it isn't 2/3 of the rod weight. It's all the rotating weight plus 50% of the reciprocating weight on each journal.

butpug

Sorry Puma & M3Evo my bad.

To clear it up, this applies only to I3, I5, V6 and V8's which have out of balance primary's.

And yes it is the total rotating mass plus 50% reciprocating mass.

:(

M3Evo
:( no need to apologise to me, I only found out recently why I4 engine's are inherently imbalanced and why I6 engines aren't!

pugbender

perhaps the XUD9 crank is the same as XU9te, an it could be fitted in a XU5 alu block?

M3Evo

Here's a poser for ya:

The counterweights on the X-plane cranked V8 weigh all the rotating weight plus 50% of the reciprocating weight on each journal, but where is this weight positioned/how is it distributed.

As I understand it, out of balance forces are measured in Kgm are they not? So the distance from the centre of rotation must have a bearing surely?

Sign in to follow this