• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Faz85

Anyone Care To Identify This Bracket?

Faz85

Evening All,

I ordered a standard induction kit from some clown on eBay, and after 3 weeks i finally received it. The filter housing and pipework seems in good condition, but when i unpacked it all, i noticed the following bracket had been included with the housing...

IMG_33721.jpg

Now could anyone tell me what that bracket is for, or even if it is for a 205 at all??? I've never seen anything like it before, and theres no conceivable place for it! There is a good chance the guy just threw it into the box hoping i wouldnt notice, but i thought i better make sure that the bracket is wrong before i make my complaint.

I noticed on the parts catalogue, there is a small bracket which has 2 holes in it to attach to the housing, and one hole to attach to the head. is this bracket the same across all the 205 GTi's?

Thanks Very Much

Faz

welshpug

not sure from the pic but it certainly looks like it's the bracket that the airbox attaches to.

pug309twin40s

thats the bracket the AFM bolts to. long bit goes along the back the battery and attaches to another piece that comes of where the igntion module is. then it bolts to the bottom of the battery tray.

dommorton

Yep what they said. Took one off mine last week.

Miles

There should be a braket from the Airbox to the exhaust manifold, I bet that's what he thought it was

jim21070

AFM bracket for sure.

I made up a new bracket for the airbox to replace the one that attaches to the exhaust manifold as mine was missing and the bolts in the manifild were stuck very fast, risking damage trying to shift them.

My new bracket is a piece of angle aluminium that attaches to the two bolts under the air outlet spigot on the airbox and runs across to a vacant bolt hole on the cylinder head by the cam cover. I did this two years ago and has lasted perfectly. The airbox is held very rigidly like this.

Faz85

Cheers for all of the replies guys, I've been out tinkering today, and similar to what you have done Jim, I fabricated my own bracket which attaches to the 2 bolts on the filter housing and it seems to be held quite firm. As for the AFM bracket, I think I have an earlier bracket from a pre-motronic GTi as i found that my AFM (XU9JAZ) wouldnt fit properly, so this bracket had to be modified as well.

Anyway, Some few hours later and its pretty much back to standard. I opted for the K&N filter element to replace the O/E filter, and Although the bay is a bit more cluttered, I found the car seems to run a lot better using the standard induction kit instead of the K&N.

Thanks again

Faz

Edited by Faz85

Guest michaelreddo

Isnt it the bracket that goes round the back of the battery tray... the AFM would have been bolted to it originally but if it has a K&N it wont be needed

Sign in to follow this