• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
driversdomainuk

My 25mm Arb

driversdomainuk

Hi

I have just ordered a 25mm rear ARB - hoping to get a 309GTI front ARB off ebay if the price is right...

Have I been a total knob here :lol: as I am running standard TBs.....will it be worth a try and see how it goes. I use the car for hillclimbs only....are 23mm TBs a must with this setup or can the car cope ok with 25mm ARBs with standard TBs..?

Also, running Koni Non coil overs on hardest settings.

Interesting bit of info about a guy I know who hillclimbs a 205 running around 260bhp and is one of the fastest mod prod cars in class - he has standard TBs and ARB (well a standard 309 beam) and reckons its fine !?! :)

Anthony

Try it and see - no point fretting and spending further money until you know how this modification has affected the handling, and whether you're happy with the results (and if not, what issue needs to be addressed)

106 Rallye/GTi's and 306 XSi/S16/GTi6 all run a 20mm torsion and 24mm ARB combo as standard

axnutty

I posted a similar thing last week

See here

I came to the conclusion that Id just throw the ARB in and see what happens. There is a very good chance that with the UR ARB that it will start to act like a spring and cause the wheel to bounce - particuarly on road where the surface isnt likely to be smooth.

Id say if youve got UR dampers, and front ARB though that it should make a nice set up. Try it and report back what its like as you suggest.

For reference on my old hillclimb AX I ran 19mm TBs and a 21mm ARB. I now have 23 TBs and a one off 26mm ARB. I personally find that set up superb.

mi16nut

I'm running a 309 beam with standard torsions & a 24mm ARB & don't find it a problem. As other have said, give it a go.

I've got a 309 front ARB, calmps & polyrace bushes that I might be persueded to let go if you're interested.

Mark.

pdd144c

We have developed an uprated front ARB to complement the rear one you bought yesterday Rob. They were tested on our race cars last season and were outstanding. First batch should be available soon, not 100% sure on a price yet.

Like Anthony said, try the bar and see how it goes. Everyone has their preferred rear setup, often slightly different from the next persons.

Sam is selling some 23mm bars at a good price though!

driversdomainuk
We have developed an uprated front ARB to complement the rear one you bought yesterday Rob. They were tested on our race cars last season and were outstanding. First batch should be available soon, not 100% sure on a price yet.

Like Anthony said, try the bar and see how it goes. Everyone has their preferred rear setup, often slightly different from the next persons.

Sam is selling some 23mm bars at a good price though!

Hi - who is sam..? how can I get hold of him?

TT205

I think you will find that your inside rear wheel will pick up A LOT! - but will still handle better than with a standard ARB

ricky1.9
Hi

I have just ordered a 25mm rear ARB - hoping to get a 309GTI front ARB off ebay if the price is right...

Have I been a total knob here :) as I am running standard TBs.....will it be worth a try and see how it goes. I use the car for hillclimbs only....are 23mm TBs a must with this setup or can the car cope ok with 25mm ARBs with standard TBs..?

Also, running Koni Non coil overs on hardest settings.

Interesting bit of info about a guy I know who hillclimbs a 205 running around 260bhp and is one of the fastest mod prod cars in class - he has standard TBs and ARB (well a standard 309 beam) and reckons its fine !?! ;)

Did you run this setup in the end??

Just wondering how you found it as I'm about to do the same expect gaz shocks instead of Konis. Although i'm using my car for nice smooth tracks I was wondering how you found it.

Ricky

Alastairh

I run this setup, and love it and use it on the road daily.

Although if i see some spare 23 tb's and a 309 front Arb cheap i think that will be a worth a go ;)

Edited by Alastairh

ricky1.9
I run this setup, and love it and use it on the road daily.

Although if i see some spare 23 tb's and a 309 front Arb cheap i think that will be a worth a go B)

on the road blimey, thought it would be a bit jumpy on the rear.

I just bought a front 309 arb from ebay for £18, thought that was cheap enough ;):)

I've got front poly buses coming as well so all should be nice and stiff.

But just hope not too stiff or springy on the rear as i've read it might be somewhere.

Alastairh

On the road its great fun.

I was running goodyear eagle F1's and found these to be the weak point when pushing it. Now run Yokohama Paradas and would never look back!

shameless and gratuitous post to say if anyone wants the front ARB of my goodwood £15 + post :wub:

Edited by 205007

ricky1.9
shameless and gratuitous post to say if anyone wants the front ARB of my goodwood £15 + post :wub:

Just bought one from ebay but everyone knows what ebay can be like so if that goes belly up then I might have it from ya

pug_ham

I've also currently got the standard 20mm 309 torsion bars & a 24m arb on my GTi mainly a trackday car but does occasionally see road usage (every couple of weeks) with Group n Bilstein tarmac rear shocks & a stripped interior (no rear seats etc) & imo its great.

Corners notcably flatter, especially nice on long fast corners but also the turn in is so responsive now its great. :)

Graham.

DorgersGTI

Hello,

We have excatly the same setup as you.

We have the standard tb and an 25 mm arb at the back,

We drove a trackday in belgium and on every corner the inside rearwheel was flying and gave a lot of stress when coming down.

After that we changed the front arb to a 309 gti16 arb and everything is perfectly balanced now.

I drove the car last friday and i never have driven it so hard and with so much harmony in the car, the snappy 205 charaterist is completly disapeerd

Greeting Dennis Orgers

ricky1.9
Hello,

We have excatly the same setup as you.

We have the standard tb and an 25 mm arb at the back,

We drove a trackday in belgium and on every corner the inside rearwheel was flying and gave a lot of stress when coming down.

After that we changed the front arb to a 309 gti16 arb and everything is perfectly balanced now.

I drove the car last friday and i never have driven it so hard and with so much harmony in the car, the snappy 205 charaterist is completly disapeerd

Greeting Dennis Orgers

nice one sounds like a lot of fun.

I've taken the plungeand bought the rear 25mm and now have manged to get the 309 front arb.

And now from what you have just said I really cant wait till My next day at brands! wow!

cheers

ricky1.9
Just bought one from ebay but everyone knows what ebay can be like so if that goes belly up then I might have it from ya

It came today as promised Must be a first!

driversdomainuk

I finally got a 22mm front ARB from that 309GTI and fitted the 25mm rear ARB - the results were fantastic, really pleased.

And the above was with standard TBs......

So chasing glory, I upgraded to 24mm rear TBs and found no difference in feel or lap times. May be I need to push so much harder, but I would not bother with thicker TBs if you go for a fat ARB and a good front ARB to start.

ricky1.9
I finally got a 22mm front ARB from that 309GTI and fitted the 25mm rear ARB - the results were fantastic, really pleased.

And the above was with standard TBs......

So chasing glory, I upgraded to 24mm rear TBs and found no difference in feel or lap times. May be I need to push so much harder, but I would not bother with thicker TBs if you go for a fat ARB and a good front ARB to start.

Sounds good mate I'm just about to try the exact setup (standard TBs) am really looking forward to it now

j_turnell

Also ran a 21mm front ARB and a 24mm rear on a 309 axel. Was bloody fantastic :lol:

driversdomainuk
Also ran a 21mm front ARB and a 24mm rear on a 309 axel. Was bloody fantastic :)

It is a front 22mm arb but whats in 1mm!

I am thinking now about getting very stiff front springs and going for a 28mm rear ARB.

tom_m
It is a front 22mm arb but whats in 1mm!

roughly 20% extra stiffness :)

Sign in to follow this