• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Adnic69

Mi Advice

Adnic69

Search has been done

I bought an Mi16 off jackherer. I was going to drop it in as is, just change the belts and water pump. However after having time to think about it and plan it makes sense to give it a rebuils while it is out the car.

I was going to whip the head off, get it acid cleaned then with a die grinder/dremel clean all the casting marks off and smooth any edges that could improve flow. Get qep to do the 3 angle valve seats and get some 264 regrinds put in it.

I will get the bottom end checked to see if it needs doing or if its ok.

Put it all back together and drop it in with the 1.6 box.

Questions are

1) Is there anything else I should be doing while its out?

2) Is fitting those cams to a road car a good idea and will it need verniers?

3) Roughly what sort of power can I expect?

It will be on std inlet and exhaust manifold and ecu. Later will be on a megasquirt.

smckeown

wouldn't it be a good to do at least a minor bottom end rebuild ? I'd never put an mi in without this to be honest. Keep the crank safe and keep the oil pressure up etc

Anthony

Do the bigend bearing shells as a matter of course (the Mi's biggest weak point) and change the cambelt, waterpump and ideally tensioners as well.

Alan_M on here has the Kent 262 regrinds on standard pulleys on his mostly standard Mi16 (3 angle seats, balanced bottom end, 4-2-1 exhuast, but otherwise standard rebuilt engine) and his is pretty quick - I'd estimate about 175hp which is similar to the figures that Andycrook has seen when he's dyno'd cars with the same cams.

Adnic69

Will do the bottom end too then, best to be safe.

Are they ok running on those cams on std management/inlet or do they kangeroo and have a rough idle. Do Mi's kangeroo or is it just the 8v?

Anthony
Are they ok running on those cams on std management/inlet or do they kangeroo and have a rough idle. Do Mi's kangeroo or is it just the 8v?

They're fine - tickover is a bit lumpy sounding (but steady) but otherwise it's well behaved.

Mi's are much less prone to kangerooing than 8v's, so you shouldn't have any problems.

Sign in to follow this