• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
saveloy

Play In Throttle Spindle

saveloy

I've had a bit of an issue lately with an idle that sits normally, but then jumps to 2K once the throttle has been opened to it's stop.

On examination I have found that there is play in the spindle, in both planes - up/down and side/side.

I have tried to tighten the bolt securing the cable mechanism, but it simply spins.

Now, do I attempt to take it apart and repair it, or do I simply swap the whole lot ( I have a spare inlet manifold/throttle housing) and have done with it?

jim21070

I seem to have the same thing on mine. What engine is yours?

I'm currently refurbishing a replacement TB but it has an iffy TPS :D

Trying to tighten it up won't do. It'll be wear in the bushes that act as the butterfly shaft bearings causing the problem. The wear allows unmetered air to pass along the butterfly shaft and upsets the idle mixture.

In short, replacement is the only answer. It may be possible to repair it by boring out the old bushes and turning up some new bushes on the lathe and pressing them in. I fully intend to try this with mine. I have nothing to loose and it'll be interesting.

I believe this is not an uncommon problem, especially on Mi16 TBs.

Miles

Repalce it, easy and simple

saveloy

It's an XU 8 valve. I think you are right Miles. I will simply swap the whole lot with the spare I have.

I don't really fancy trying to prise the TB from the inlet anyway.

By the way, the Billies are still fab. The feeling in my bum cheeks has finally returned. :D

jim21070
It's an XU 8 valve. I think you are right Miles. I will simply swap the whole lot with the spare I have.

I don't really fancy trying to prise the TB from the inlet anyway.

No need to disturb the inlet manifold. A lot of effort for nothing. It is easy.

The TB is held on to the inlet manifold by three nuts/washers and the allen bolt (indirectly) that holds the throttle cable bracket.

Undo this lot and the TB will literally fall off in your hand. You'll find a big O ring on the TB to inlet and it is this O ring that forms the airtight seal between the two.

The only pain is disconnecting the two water pipes.

Saveloy, out of interest, who makes your duff TB. is it an AMC with the idle screw set at an angle or the other one with the idle screw set vertical? I ask because my worn one is an AMC and my replacement is of the other variety and I wonder if one is more prone to wear than the other.

Miles

There's the Solex T/B as well which can take the A/C air valve thing!!

Never come across the 8v ones wearing out yet but they must be due to start soon as the 16v's suffer from it.

Good job I;ve got syack's of the bugger's!!

Also I never connect those 2 water pipe's, who wants to heat the throttle body (Well down south anyway)

saveloy

Jim, it's an AMC. The one replacing it is not. Now, this allen bolt secures the cable you mean?

I will take a gander at the replacement and figure it out. Seems quite simple.

Thanks for the info.

Incidentally, the T/B has covered 165,000 miles. Mostly wide open. :D

jim21070
Now, this allen bolt secures the cable you mean?

Thats the one Saveloy, it secures one end of the throttle cable bracket to the inlet manifold. The other end of the bracket is attached to the TB under one of its securing nuts.

Sign in to follow this