• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
driversdomainuk

Yoko A048r

driversdomainuk

Hi

I have been reading lots of positive things about the A048R's and am considering getting a set to replace my Yoko AVS Sport - which have not been bad for £40 a tyre...albeit too hard for what I use.

I use my car for hillclimbs and so an looking for the softest avalaible....is there much of a difference between the A048R Medium and Medium/Hard...?

rally ax

I used to use the M compound on the hills and sprints in 2005 and found them very good, but I found out this year (well in 2006)you can now get S compound. I bought 2 med's for the front and 2 softs for the rear to try on the ralling that we now do ,,,but the wife didn't like the yoko's,she was ok with them doing sprints etc but prefers the Mitchelin rally tyre on rallys ( £120.00 each :D ) .There's alot of the other guys using the A048r's on their 106's and Novas that are well impressed as they grip quite well from cold.

-I was using 185/55/14's ,you might be on 15"' though and I'm not sure if you can get soft compound ?

We managed to make 1 set last a whole year and that was double entered as well ;)

swordfish210

My mate uses thaese on his Chevette HS (RWD) and he found that the S on the front and the M on the rear was the best set up. Expensive but much better than the MH all around which was too much of a comprimise

driversdomainuk
My mate uses thaese on his Chevette HS (RWD) and he found that the S on the front and the M on the rear was the best set up. Expensive but much better than the MH all around which was too much of a comprimise

I have been on DT website and was pleased to see that they do Soft compound now - at £87ish + vat for 195 - 50 - 15

Think I would go for soft all round

rally ax

Another tyre worth thinking about is the Toyo r888 , a few of the boys have moved onto them and had no complaints. I priced them from my local supplier and they were only £60.00+vat p/tyre for a 195/50/15 ;) and charges £12.00 + vat for postage for 4 tyres ! = £296.10 all in !! ,,, compared to £408.90 + del for Yoko's ,,, they've got to be worth a try !?

Turriff tyres - 01888 562 929 ask for Julian

swordfish210
Another tyre worth thinking about is the Toyo r888 , a few of the boys have moved onto them and had no complaints. I priced them from my local supplier and they were only £60.00+vat p/tyre for a 195/50/15 :) and charges £12.00 + vat for postage for 4 tyres ! = £296.10 all in !! ,,, compared to £408.90 + del for Yoko's ,,, they've got to be worth a try !?

Turriff tyres - 01888 562 929 ask for Julian

The R888 is an amazing tyre but they do have a tendancy to wear quicker than the A048 (from what i have heard) You could also try the Avon ZZ-R. I have heard nothing but positive feedback from racers who have tried this tyre, not sure of prices but it might be worth a look at.

VisaGTi16v

I had a set of M 48r's on my Visa. They have done about 4000 miles on the road and ~12 sprints/hillclimbs and are only just getting down to the minimum markers. I did swap them front to rear at one point though. I would suggest soft on the front. A Golf owning friend in my class used to use 888's untill we both went to slicks and they did feel softer than my M 48r's but then probably wore out quicker so...

VisaGTi16v

As a side note, insure they are ok for your class. In the South East most events run to the MSA Blue Book which means Road Going cars can only use tyres off List 1A. The 48r, Toyo 888 etc are on 1B which can only be used by Modified Production cars (which can also use slicks if log booked) like mine. I think they may allow road going to use 1B from 2008 but not for this year so check to avoid a nasty suprise at your next event when you get bumped up a class!

frodo_monkey

Another racer here who is going to use R888s this season - think I have found the best price though! Just got 4x 195/50R15s for £230 inc VAT, fitting and balancing :) Had to hurry because they go up in price at the end of Jan by about 5-10%...

Wurzel
Another racer here who is going to use R888s this season - think I have found the best price though! Just got 4x 195/50R15s for £230 inc VAT, fitting and balancing :( Had to hurry because they go up in price at the end of Jan by about 5-10%...

Can you share the secret? :)

frodo_monkey
Can you share the secret?

I get a discount because of the series I race in, up at C&S Tyres in Middlesbrough :)

Sign in to follow this