• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Grim.Badger

Another Starter Motor Fault

Grim.Badger

I've just replaced my starter after the last one stopped working. The ignition key had all but stopped working with the last one so I had an auxillery fused and switched starter wire under the bonnet. This fused wire eventually blew every fuse I tried so I presumed the solenoid had died and was acting as an open circuit, the ignition also didn't do anything.

The new starter (from a 16v 406) wont turn over either, off the ignition or the fused auxillery, although it doesn't blow the fuse on the auxillery wire. However when I fiddled with the +ve it seemed to try and start but I couldn't get it to try again. The solenoid does click once with the ignition.

I have 12v at the solenoid, battery and alternator end of the +ve (in parallel with the starter), unfortunately I can't check the charge on the starter +ve or for any drain when starting. I've also ruled out the earth by connecting the battery earth to the inlet manifold.

So have I got:

A: Two dead starters

B: Bad Battery Connection or +ve feed

C: I've somehow fitted the starter wrong and it's not engaged with the flywheel properly

D: Some problems I've not thought of

jim21070

A I'd say.

Not having a lot of luck with these are you Mr. Badger...

Personally, given that the starter is such a mission to change and so important, I'd swallow hard and make your way to your nearest GSF or ECP and get a new one.

I don't normally take this line but with starters I do.

The cost, IMO, is well worth the saving in hassle and buggeration factor. Starters work hard in a GTI in the equivilent envoroment of a sweat-shop. They don't live long at the best of times.

pug_ham

Sounds like A is most likely.

B. Unlikely but a tiny possibility.

C. Almost impossible to do imo, even if its not engaging with the flywheel you should be able to hear it turning when you power the solenoid.

D. Possible but no idea what to suggest.

Have you tried a direct wire from the battery to the solenoid on the new starter? I'd try that before getting a new starter, mine was just the wire from the multiplug to solenoid was dead.

Graham.

Grim.Badger
Have you tried a direct wire from the battery to the solenoid on the new starter? I'd try that before getting a new starter, mine was just the wire from the multiplug to solenoid was dead.

Yep, tried that. I got it wrong before, the solenoid doesn't click on the new one it's the relay under the dash.

Looks like I'll be in the rain today getting another :D

Rob_the_Sparky

Just in case you could check that the engine turns over OK, could it be frying starters due to a problem in the engine?

Grim.Badger

It was A.

Changed the starter for one from a 306 XSi and it started up first time, although I did also change the +ve cable from the battery to the Starter/Alernator/Distribution Box as mine was a bit roppey to say the least, I took the entire thing from the XSI, which btw looked like it had just rolled off the production line despite being an N Reg.

jim21070 wins a dead 205 GTi starter motor for being the first to guess right -_-

welshpug

was that off an 8 valver?

I've been recommended the GTi6 unit as they're more compact and much more reliable, same as the 16v xsi, might be the same as the 8 valve XSi.

Grim.Badger
was that off an 8 valver?

I've been recommended the GTi6 unit as they're more compact and much more reliable, same as the 16v xsi, might be the same as the 8 valve XSi.

No 16v, same model starter as I took off the 406 16v. It's tiny and much much easier to fit than the 205 one, you can squeeze it inbetween the inlet manifold, throttle body and block with the oil filler removed and pipes pushed to one side -_- plus you can turn it around to face any direction in the gap under the inlet manifold so the wiring is much easier as well.

jim21070
jim21070 wins a dead 205 GTi starter motor for being the first to guess right -_-

:) I need a new door-stop for the garage door, that'll do nicely!

Sign in to follow this