• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest brodeh

Engine Transplant Starting Problems!

Guest brodeh

I have just replaced my haggard old 1.9 8v engine with an identical spare engine from a donor car.

I had the donor engine running fine in its donor shell. Removed it, replaced everything on the outside (inc timing belt). Fitted it into my GTI and tested it as soon as I had enough to make it fire/ run and it did, great!

Continued to reconnect cooling etc and on finishing tried it again and it stated up after a fiddle with the distributor and it idled with a little hesitation due to the tank being very empty and it being at an angle on axel stands.

Put fuel in it and now it won’t start. I noticed the original coil was arcing to the green and yellow wires on the smaller spades so changed it, still wont fire. I have fuel and a spark, and everything is as before. I have new plugs, leads, coil, distributor cap, just about everything and it ran this morning.

I’m baffled, as a last resort could someone confirm the connections of the ht leads to the distributor cap. I have checked it as per the Haynes manual and it is the same as on the old engine however it is the only thing I am not 100% on as I cant think of everything else.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :angry:

ORB

is it flooded?

Guest brodeh

Nope, keep emptying it. Evertime ive emptied it ive wiped everything with petrol and left it to remove any moisture before refitting it.

pug_ham
could someone confirm the connections of the ht leads to the distributor cap.

HT Leads, a search should find lots more info if needed.

They are in the same order on both 16v & 8v engines of all years with a dizzy fitted.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this