• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
saml666

Mi16 Static Timing

saml666

I've double checked with dowels the pulleys etc but when at TDC (compresson on cyl 1) I do not have enough dizzy adjustment to get the rotor arm pointing to No1 spark segment.

I am using 8v dizzy with QEP adaptor to fit to mi16 head (don't worry, I'm not trying to make it work with the ECU, its on carbs)...

...could it be that I have the cam pulleys on the wrong cams?

It's weird, hopefully I am just being a dullard but I can't figure it out, its as though the dizzy adaptors bolt holes have been machined wrong - but I wouldn't go as far as to say they have, it just gives an idea of what I'm seeing.

Any ideas would be gratefully received!

Sam

t16ryan

i found i had to use IIRC a late1600 dizzy and bore out the dizzy adapter slightly to get the extra aadjustment :angry:

saml666
i found i had to use IIRC a late1600 dizzy and bore out the dizzy adapter slightly to get the extra aadjustment :angry:

Cheers chap, I'll give that a go . . . can you give a bit of detail on what you mean by boring the adaptor out though?

Many thanks, Sam

t16ryan

did you get one with 2 or 3 holes? i got one with 2 and i ended up needing that little extra so had to file away a little of the dizzy not the adapter, to get more adjustment, if that makes sense?

saml666
did you get one with 2 or 3 holes? i got one with 2 and i ended up needing that little extra so had to file away a little of the dizzy not the adapter, to get more adjustment, if that makes sense?

Thats the one, two holes . . . I considered filing but couldn't believe i'd have to. Hmm, will call up QEP and check i'm not being thick.

Thanks, Sam

t16ryan

Thats the other thing i did IIRC ( it was 2 years ago ) take the cap off and get it so its firing on number 1 and plug your leads in that way as other wise its well out, with it like that and bored out a 1mm or 2 it sat like this

205MI16006.jpg

t16ryan

then i fitted a different dizzy it sits 90 degrees more round ( clockwide so sits alot lower :unsure: looks better

saml666
then i fitted a different dizzy it sits 90 degrees more round ( clockwide so sits alot lower :unsure: looks better

Cheers for your help chap, its all making sense... I think I might severely modify my dizzy casing and machine-up a clamp a little like old mini and V8 engines giving me almost infinite adjustment...

Thanks for the pics and help!

Sam

jonnie205

Yep i had to drill and tap another hole in the adaptor to make it fire on no 1. I is weird that they come drilled wrong but that just seems the way it is. Reember to time it up with a light once its running

saml666
Yep i had to drill and tap another hole in the adaptor to make it fire on no 1. I is weird that they come drilled wrong but that just seems the way it is. Reember to time it up with a light once its running

Will do!

Sign in to follow this