• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dan57

Lightening Boot Lid

Dan57

Happy new year to all.

I've spent the last couple of days removing as much weight as I can from the 205. I managed to cut about 6kg from the bonnet :) until the wind grabbed hold of it and now it needs painting. :(

My attention then moved to the boot lid. I've cut pretty much everything from the lower edge of the window downwards which saved about 4kg but I want to remove everything upward of this point to essentially end up with a basic skin. BUT if I remove this much the boot lid will be very flexible. At present it still has a glass window, and glass a flexing don't really mix. I was thinking if I replace the glass with say 2mm acrylic will this withstand the flexing of the boot lid?

I'd be very interested to see what others have done and how they have mounted boot (bonnet) pins.

welshpug

easiest way is a Fibreglass item with a polycarb window :)

Dan57

I realise that this is actually the sensible thing to do and probably what most people do. BUT I am awkward and this goes against my religon. :lol:

The 205 is really a project to keep me on the track until the other project is finished :angry: Knowing me that will 2010. :) I also want to acheive a fun yet fairly quick track car on my budget of half a shoe string and perhaps a couple of buttons if I get carried away.

The concept of the car is to create a track car that everyone can afford, including me, so the engine will remain standard (although some K&N induction and scorpion exhaust was already fitted.) So any performance upgrade would come from weight saving. After all it's free to cut bits off and I reckon the original panels can be made just as light as fibreglass ones. ;)

dommorton

Shoestring racers are the future!

here's mine

I'm going to start chopping when I eventually find a poly window kit for peanuts :angry:

Dan57

Nice looking car, and close to budget too.

I paid £300 for mine but it looks more like a Harlequin model as it's various shades of reds, oranges and pinks but at least it won't matter when the gravel chips the paint. :)

I reckon I am about the 800kg mark at the moment but I need to add the 27kg cage yet so have to save much more weight yet. :lol:

I plan to make my own windows as a friend of a friend is a glazier and I might as well but those offcuts to good use and save part of that shoe string. :angry:

Sign in to follow this