• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dommorton

Front Ride Height Radically Different?

dommorton

Have fitted new Bilstein struts (replacement OEM spec) and Ventura -25mm springs. Grp N top bushes from Baker and new top mount bearings.

The car is now sitting with one side approx 30mm higher than the other <_<

I've been up the road in it to even it out but to no avail.

When on the ground the strut tops show the same amount of thread. The struts are the same length with the seats in the same place. The springs appeared the same length before fitting.

The back end is all square with the same gap both sides and the beam is a recently rebuilt item.

One thing I have noticed is the bowler hat shaped washer at the top of the strut is tight to the top mount plate on this side and has a slight gap the other. Although this gap difference is no where near as much as the suspension is out by?

Any ideas before I rip it to bits?

dommorton

Don't worry I've sorted it.

The top mount bearing wasn't seated correctly on the passenger side and had made the spring cup sit at an angle.

Jacked it up and persuaded everything back to where it should be then it was all even stevens.

Problem is am I going to have to carefully reseat the top mounts every time I've jacked the car up?

Guessing the shorter springs aren't pushing things in place as well as their longer predecessors <_<

DrSarty
Problem is am I going to have to carefully reseat the top mounts every time I've jacked the car up?

Guessing the shorter springs aren't pushing things in place as well as their longer predecessors <_<

Even with my -30mm Eibachs, when jacked up this started to happen. Now, I REALLY am no expert on this but my ATS buddy who fitted it said it's usual, but he forgot (?) to put a zip tie pair top and bottom to help the spring seat in the cup and not do this.

I'm not sure if that's ok and a cure or not.

DrS <_<

Edited by DrSarty

dommorton

I've done that on some other cars in the past but on the 205 I can't see it helping <_<

The spring is seated fine both top and bottom, it seems the top mount components pull apart when you jack it up and there is no way I can think of to keep it compressed?

welshpug

Iv'e got the same shock and springs on mine Dom, had a little trouble getting the seated when fitting (my spring pan decide it didnt want to sit on top of the spring :) ) but ever since its been fine, even when jacked up.

dommorton

My spring pan seems to sit on the spring fine but pulls off the bearing instead.

Hopefully now it's seated it won't happen again. Guess I'll just need to be careful when dropping it back down.

taylorspug

Should be fine now it is seated, give it a bit of time and the road grime will seal it in good aswell... :)

dommorton

That's true! the last ones were bloody welded in! :)

Dan57

Evere so slightly off topic but how do you guy's find the Ventura springs?

I have a set fitted to my Merc and to honest where pretty good around the track but it is a 1 1/2 ton car and quite a lot of weight transfer to deal with. Just wondering if they make the 205 stiffer and handle any better?

And best of all are cheap as chips. :angry:

welshpug

no idea if they're any good really as I fitted them at teh same time as New shocks so it was a world apart from original springs and dead dampers.

It seems pretty good for a road car, not too stiff and the coating is still intact 2 years on, you do get a little weight transfer but I think a little is good so you know whats happening at the front brakes, and a lot of that is to do with the rear as much as anything.

dommorton

I've done about 0.3 of a mile so far as the car isn't finished so hard to say :angry:

KRISKARRERA

Dom, Welshypug,

I've got the Ventura and black Bilsteins on my 405, it's a right crashy bastid, are your cars not like that then?

dommorton
Dom, Welshypug,

I've got the Ventura and black Bilsteins on my 405, it's a right crashy bastid, are your cars not like that then?

My short test drives confirm yes it seems to have no front suspension ;)

tom_m

i have found crashing is more to do with damping than the springing, unless they are stupidly stiff.

i'm running rose jointed top mounts and biltstein tarmac dampers with 180lb springs and i find this set-up less crashy than avo coilovers with the same spring rate and grp-n rubber in standard topmounts!

welshpug

wouldn't say crashy, but then i haven't driven any other 205s bar this one when it had std springs and foobard shocks

dommorton

Maybe it's the grp N top mounts making mine hardcore?

Will report back once I have the thing on the road and have let everything settle in.

Rippthrough
Maybe it's the grp N top mounts making mine hardcore?

Will report back once I have the thing on the road and have let everything settle in.

Crashy will be either the dampers or those top mounts.

GLPoomobile

Group N top mount rubbers have made mine more crashy than before. I'm going back to standard rubbers (road car, and currently not pleasant to drive in London with all the speed humps and potholes).

Sign in to follow this