• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DirtyFlare

Mayonnaising Found

DirtyFlare

I know that mayonnaising found under the oil filler cap is a sign of possible head gasket failure. I have taken a couple of pictures, both are the same but with different lighting so that it will be easiler to see the amount of mayonnaise.

Could someone please tell me if the amount of Mayonnaise shown in the pictures is enough to worry about a head gasket replacement? Also what other steps could i take to diagnoise a head gasket failure, compression test?

Mayonnaise.jpg

Mayonnaise2.jpg

The first picture makes it seem as though the filler cap is full of mayonnaise, it isn't. Only one side or the filler cap has mayonnaise down it and a little in the top. The second picture shows this better.

Edited by DirtyFlare

ultimatepug

i would say its not head gasket. ive had it before on my old 205, the oil breather pipes clog up with crap, hence leaving the 'mayo' in the cap.

adam

newdean0

There's loads of posts on this if you search but I'd say as long as you aren't overheating, losing power or your cooling water isn't mysteriously disappearing your fine. It's normal to get mayo at this time of year as the hoses at the front of the engine don't get warm enough to evaporate off the water vapour. If your worried about the level of buildup try taking the car for a longish drive so it is fully warmed up. This should remove most of it.

nick

Because the filler is remote from the engine (ie, not on top of the camcover like other cars) it never gets warm enough to burn off the mayo. All pugs do it in this weather.

If the car is running fine, wait for the warmer weather to arrive and then check it again.

Nick

DirtyFlare

ok great, thanx for the replies. That's one thing off my mind.

I also found that the oil filer cap didn't have any o-rings. so there wasn't a seal around it. Luckly i brought a new one as im going to do an oil change soon, so just put that on.

Banjo

Give it a damn good thrashing and I bet it goes away¬!

Dream Weaver

Mine has double that amount at the minute, and I have no problems - mainly comes from the weather as said, plus any short journeys.

Sign in to follow this