• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugpete1108

Bike Tb Suitability , Set Of R6 Ones Available

sutol

Something like an S.U. carb ?

Into deep water here, think I'll shut up until I've had a think <_<

Still convinced that on a single inlet valve motor, one should be able to shove an old inlet valve up the choke and as long as the choke was at least the same size as the valve and the carb flows well then bob's your uncle. :)

butpug
I don't understand :D

Edit; used wrong quote!!!!!

""Anyway, I can't understand why an engine with one choke per cylinder would require a choke size any larger than the area of the valve opening/openings less the area of restriction provided by the valve guides.""

The air is stationary before it starts flowing into the trumpet. Somehow you need to accelerate that air to achieve as greater velocity as possible to fill the cylinder before the valve must close. The most efficient way to accelerate air is to accelerate it at a constant rate. Hench the parabolic shape of the ideal trumpet.

With regards to bikes v's car engines, flow speed is likely to be very different, what you need to now is mass flow rate. ie speed and pressure (edit; and before someone catches me out, yes temperature too!)

Edited by butpug

butpug
I'd be interested to see how a butterflyless throttle would work on a SI engine :D

BMW have made a throttleless SI engine. It basically uses variable valve lift to restrict air flow, I had a link once but now tis gone.

sutol
Edit; used wrong quote!!!!!

""Anyway, I can't understand why an engine with one choke per cylinder would require a choke size any larger than the area of the valve opening/openings less the area of restriction provided by the valve guides.""

The air is stationary before it starts flowing into the trumpet. Somehow you need to accelerate that air to achieve as greater velocity as possible to fill the cylinder before the valve must close. The most efficient way to accelerate air is to accelerate it at a constant rate. Hench the parabolic shape of the ideal trumpet.

With regards to bikes v's car engines, flow speed is likely to be very different, what you need to now is mass flow rate. ie speed and pressure (edit; and before someone catches me out, yes temperature too!)

Yes but the larger the area available for a given volume of air to flow in -- the slower it will travel :unsure:

Rippthrough
Yes but the larger the area available for a given volume of air to flow in -- the slower it will travel :ph34r:

Imagine it like this - the pipe the same diameter as the valve throat will be accelerating the air right at the end of the pipe only.

Say, like a car doing 0-100 in 10 seconds.

The exponential shape inlet gradually accelerates the air over a much larger distance.

i.e. - 0-100 in 30 seconds.

Which one takes the most power to do?

sutol
Imagine it like this - the pipe the same diameter as the valve throat will be accelerating the air right at the end of the pipe only.

Say, like a car doing 0-100 in 10 seconds.

The exponential shape inlet gradually accelerates the air over a much larger distance.

i.e. - 0-100 in 30 seconds.

Which one takes the most power to do?

In my experience which is not an awful lot, I find that opening up inlet tracts too much just reduces low down torque and moves the rest of the power up the rev range. I can't argue too deep into this one because there are area's where I don't know what I'm talking about but I do believe that in sticking oversize carbs on oversize inlets you are just -----

beat_deadhorse.gif

rotflmmfao.gif

Rippthrough
In my experience which is not an awful lot, I find that opening up inlet tracts too much just reduces low down torque and moves the rest of the power up the rev range. I can't argue too deep into this one because there are area's where I don't know what I'm talking about but I do believe that in sticking oversize carbs on oversize inlets you are just -----

beat_deadhorse.gif

rotflmmfao.gif

I'm not talking about opening the inlet tracts up too much, I'm saying that a bigger carb than the inlet is a good idea because it helps you get a tapered/exponential shape from the throat back.

sutol
I'm not talking about opening the inlet tracts up too much, I'm saying that a bigger carb than the inlet is a good idea because it helps you get a tapered/exponential shape from the throat back.

Yes, I suppose it might but aren't you going to get a step down at the manifold/ head even if you taper it the step will be there and will have to be elongated to turn step into taper

Meaning a lot of work and not always poss!!

Am I making sense here or should I go on ebay lol

Edited by sutol

Rippthrough
Yes, I suppose it might but aren't you going to get a step down at the manifold/ head even if you taper it the step will be there and will have to be elongated to turn step into taper

Meaning a lot of work and not always poss!!

Am I making sense here or should I go on ebay lol

You reshape the port as much as you can and then work the manifold from there.

sutol
You reshape the port as much as you can and then work the manifold from there.

Yes, I,ve got you now, the boy racers used to do something similar in the sixties but not as controlled and sophisticated as the way you explain it. :ph34r:

What THEY did is to stick a drill in the port and grind out as far as they could reach with the stone or file it out. Then they would stick a bigger carb on it and call it sorted.

All they succeded in doing was to use more petrol and get less torque

We've come a long way then :ph34r: no offence

Rippthrough
Yes, I,ve got you now, the boy racers used to do something similar in the sixties but not as controlled and sophisticated as the way you explain it. :P

What THEY did is to stick a drill in the port and grind out as far as they could reach with the stone or file it out. Then they would stick a bigger carb on it and call it sorted.

All they succeded in doing was to use more petrol and get less torque

We've come a long way then :) no offence

No, you just put a tapered shape in the port to match with the manifold, you don't just grind it out.

Sign in to follow this