• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Billy_boy

Respraying Panels / Eliminating Scratches!

Billy_boy

hey guys

some buggers have keyed my GTi and im not happy! the scratches seem to be quite deep apart from one which is only a surface scratch...

could anyone give me a quick guide to respraying?

many thanks

Billy_boy

steve@cornwall
hey guys

some buggers have keyed my GTi and im not happy! the scratches seem to be quite deep apart from one which is only a surface scratch...

could anyone give me a quick guide to respraying?

many thanks

Billy_boy

Sorry to hear about the morons Billy.Yours is a nice looking pug and they need a severe "telling off"

If you're thinking spray cans, I wouldn't think of doing it in the damp weather conditions, it'll probably go "misty" /porous and just start the rust off :)

I'd touch the scratch in with some cheap touch-up "pens" from trago for now - mainly for protection-and leave the proper job 'till warmer times.

you can get reasonable results by going over several times with the little brush, until the repair i proud of the surrounding paint , then carefully rubbing with v.fine (1200-1500) wet and dry wrapped around a narrow wooden block> but this may depend on the length of scratch.

On another note, were you on the lookout for one full leather front seat (vague memory)

Billy_boy

cheers steve thats a great help mate!

actually my 1.6 GTi is now for sale, it has full leather seats which im selling with it the reason is because i have just brought a white 205 Mi16 :D

but your right with the damp weather its not the best time to do it but as im selling the car i want it to look nice for its next owner :)

cheers

Grahamrally

I've sprayed a fair amount of bodywork on my White rally car 205 just to save cost, as you can imagine it really gets used! Anyhow, I use good ole' Halfords spray cans. However the hardest part of applying the paint is getting an even finish. It'll never look like it's been sprayed by a proper setup, but it does look good. You get over spray from a can as it's not even spray that comes out of them so you have to apply it very carefully. Other than that take time making sure the panel is completely rubbed down, then primered and rubbed again, then sprayed. In your case you may not need the primer.

Graham

steve@cornwall
I've sprayed a fair amount of bodywork on my White rally car 205 just to save cost, as you can imagine it really gets used! Anyhow, I use good ole' Halfords spray cans. However the hardest part of applying the paint is getting an even finish. It'll never look like it's been sprayed by a proper setup, but it does look good. You get over spray from a can as it's not even spray that comes out of them so you have to apply it very carefully. Other than that take time making sure the panel is completely rubbed down, then primered and rubbed again, then sprayed. In your case you may not need the primer.

Graham

Have you got any pictures of the damage? would give an idea of the best way forward.If it has to be done, it has to be done. Black is a VERY unforgiving colour to paint and will show any imperfections, so prep. will need to be meticulous! My red gti is completely sprayed in cans!click on link in sig.

Edited by steve@cornwall

Billy_boy

thanks for the advice steve and graham i will give it a go and let you know how i get on!

many thanks

Billy_boy

scumbag

Steve. Come and spray my car. Yours looks good!

steve@cornwall

Just saw your other post, shame you're having to sell her

Nice gti for anyone looking to buy- one of the few worth the trip to Cornwall! would be nice to see it stay on the forum!

I'll keep an eye out for the white mi! "in the mirror, in the miRROR- WHERE'S IT Gone?":D

Billy_boy

cheers steve, i got the Mi16 now :) will have to make a trip over your way and show ya!

Sign in to follow this