• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugpete1108

Manifold And Mc Clearance , Is This Enough?

pugpete1108

finally finished fitting the gti6 engine this week , decided to gently bend (read whack ) the seam on the bulkhead and tilt the engine ( only about 2-3 degs) , to get decent clearance on the exhaust manifold , it looks ok to me what do you think?

also fitted the new master cylinder but i am a little worried how tight it is ( not so much the cam cover side but the cambelt side <_< ) , the end of the cam cover has been filed down as much asi dare andi have tugged at the engine each way to check for movement and it doesn't hit, but under track conditions i fear it will .

it maybe that i have to uprate the upper mount too ( already have solid lower and uprated upper mounts)

also anyone who has done the gti6 conversion could you tell me where you have attached the left hand pipe for the oil cooler ? i know the right one goes back to the top hose but the other goes to the header ( which on the 6 is on the end of the rad i believe)

take a look let me know what you think.

Picture006.jpg

Picture013.jpg

Picture012.jpg

Picture008.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Picture001.jpg

boldy205

hmmm. i wouldnt trust the MC clearance if it were my car!! maybe re drill the holes for the servo mounts to gain more clearance, then mod the brake pedal arm accordingly to put the pedal back in original position?

maxi

Something seems seriously adrift here, your having major clearence issues that you shouldnt be having, almost as if the engine isnt sitting properly or something is bent..... That engine will move, touch the master cyrlinder, disrupt the belt/pulleys and your engine will be f***ed. The first step is to get a new cambelt cover on there, your wasting your time with all this work so far as running it like that is plain supidity.

Once that is done, adjust the engine on its mounts as much as poss, mod the rocker cover by cutting off one of the coil cover mounts and dressing it back. If master cylinder clearence is still a problem, you need to look into grinding it slightly or a big bar to persuade it over, this will just be taken out on the servo and not damadge the car's shell at all.

Alarm Bells are ringing looking at those pics, dont eb tempted to run it like that!

Maxi

maxi

Just looked at the pics again, seen youve already modded the rocker cover, good man! <_<

As for the oil cooler hose, I weld a union onto the metal section of 205 bottom hose and get the feed from that. A BX16v bottom hose is the alternative, but they are like rocking horse s*it.

Maxi

pugpete1108
Something seems seriously adrift here, your having major clearence issues that you shouldnt be having, almost as if the engine isnt sitting properly or something is bent..... That engine will move, touch the master cyrlinder, disrupt the belt/pulleys and your engine will be f***ed. The first step is to get a new cambelt cover on there, your wasting your time with all this work so far as running it like that is plain supidity.

Once that is done, adjust the engine on its mounts as much as poss, mod the rocker cover by cutting off one of the coil cover mounts and dressing it back. If master cylinder clearence is still a problem, you need to look into grinding it slightly or a big bar to persuade it over, this will just be taken out on the servo and not damadge the car's shell at all.

Alarm Bells are ringing looking at those pics, dont eb tempted to run it like that!

Maxi

the engine seems to be sitting correctly and i don't see what could be bent really , the cam cover has been ground back and its only the top section of the belt cover that is cut away , i was thinking that i would replace that anyway as it was aready broken and was actually touching the mc .

and looking at a couple of other peoples conversions they had the same kind of clearance .

i think i will lift the servo and lower the engine slightly and see how i go from there if i need to do any more then so be it .

i did think the oil pipe should go to the other side of the rad aswell and going to the metal pipe seems a good idea , does it flow from this side then up to the upper hose?

jonnie205

Of the gti6 conversions i have done all have been this close. I grind the cam cover and move engine as far away as poss on the mounts. I have always used the standard 205 master cylinder. If you decide to use a 406 MC then you will have to look into raising or somehow moving the MC.

James_R

I'd get hold of a Xm turbo mount and Mi "elbow" then put in longer studs and a 10mm plate, make up a spacer to drop the box 5mm on the top nut and wind it out 5mm (with a washer) then cut and weld the fork 10mm lower. presto.

whizzer71

Blimey Pete that looks well close !,Im working in the morning (Sat Am) But I will See if I can Take some pics of mine for you I havnt any clearance issue at all and its all in there on the std points just with uprated mounts.

Tris

;)

Sign in to follow this