• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
saveloy

Challenge Spec Billies

saveloy

Finally got round to getting them on today.

And they are a revelation. They certainly are stiff, but the ride is wonderful. Damping and control are in a different league to my old Avos. I should have gone this route years ago.

Unfortunately though, the wrong Eibach springs have been fitted. So the front end is sitting far too high.

They are the correct springs, according to the part numbers. But the springs I took off are progressive, whilst the new ones are not.

I took the number from the old spring, and according to the Eibach website, they are for a series one 106. They were the third Eibach spring I bought, so someone seems to know what they are doing.

Silly me though, ordering a set for a 205 GTI and expecting a set of 205 GTI springs to arrive!

Super Josh

Good Man :P Some of the harshness should settle down after a few hundred miles too :D

Josh

Simes

Kyri,

Don't worry about the springs - eibach have made an error in their catalogue.

You need part nos 7001-120

I had a similar problem about 3 years ago...well documented on this forum around then.

Nice old thread!

Edited by Simes

saveloy
Kyri,

Don't worry about the springs - eibach have made an error in their catalogue.

You need part nos 7001-120

I had a similar problem about 3 years ago...well documented on this forum around then.

Nice old thread!

I have the exact part numbers I need now. But thanks mate.

I mean, what a bunch of cockmeisters. I now have a set of unwanted springs. Even the first set I ordered were wrong too.

What really annoys me is that I can't enjoy the car yet. Bunch of twat monkeys.

Dino

I wish you had gone this route years ago too mate. Seeing as I always took your advice and bought the AVOs on your recommendation!

Seriously though I was well impressed with the billies when on my car :D

from what i can gather the billes are good but dont stand up so well to the rough stuff especially the rears

not as good as the used to be by all accounts....

challenge cars now have the option of leda coilovers which are same spec but cheaper to buy and maintain

Edited by 205007

cybernck

what are the part numbers of other springs you have?

saveloy

The springs I have are E7004 - 120.

johnrobertgordon

They are fooking stiff. I have a set of coustom 180lbs springs on mine. Awsome setup, back end can be a bit bouncy though.

Sandy
And they are a revelation. They certainly are stiff, but the ride is wonderful. Damping and control are in a different league to my old Avos. I should have gone this route years ago.

I couldn't agree more too, i'm like a stuck record whenever people ask what dampers to use. I've tried all sorts (including the fully adjustable AVO's) and these simply work brilliantly all the time, including ride quality! The rears are too stiff for standard bars though IMO, they seem to slow down the rear's reaction to bumps and have a settling feeling turning in.

I'm quite happy with the 106GTi dual rate Eibachs, they're firmer than the normal ones, but not enough to adversely affect traction and float on the softer rate most of the time on the 205. Cheaper than the 205 ones too. E-20-70-001-01-20

pdd144c

Bilstein are indeed the way to go.

richard

I too have these on the rear Kyri....usable everyday but progressive enough to give you a bit of confidence.

Anyone that is thinking of a suspension upgrade should seriously consider these in my opinion.

Did 2400 miles including a couple of laps on the ring and it felt well planted to the tarmac.

jonnie205

dont forget although they are good they are now very old dampers and if you ever get to try a set of latest ohlins/reigers you'll notice another massive improvement

as for avo's, well yeah the only set ive ever used were completely useless

pdd144c

At what price though Jonnie?! Would they really develop something for a 205 now?

Rippthrough
At what price though Jonnie?! Would they really develop something for a 205 now?

They'll develop anything you ask them to, for the right money.

pdd144c

True, but is it really worth the money? I'd rather spend it on other things.

Rippthrough
True, but is it really worth the money? I'd rather spend it on other things.

Depends, many on here think spending a few grand on an engine is a good idea, why not on dampers?

-Phillip

Edited by Rippthrough

johnrobertgordon

Tis true Rippthrough, I was always taught by my dad to sort the chassis out properly before even looking at the engine, what good is 300bhp if you can't make full use of it.

Rippthrough
Tis true Rippthrough, I was always taught by my dad to sort the chassis out properly before even looking at the engine, what good is 300bhp if you can't make full use of it.

That's what I've been up to with the 306, although it's hard for 85bhp to overwhelm any chassis tbh...soon to be remedied <_<

-Phillip

BERTMAN
That's what I've been up to with the 306, although it's hard for 85bhp to overwhelm any chassis tbh...soon to be remedied

-Phillip

lmfao... same goes here with the mighty run around Rover

are the billie challenge dampers suitable for road use?

pdd144c

Veyr true with regards the chassis, I've seen quite a few race 205's that have spent silly money on suspension and gained little or nothing over the Bilstein setup... Hence why I'd be happy running the Bilstein setup for the lesser cost.

Rippthrough
Veyr true with regards the chassis, I've seen quite a few race 205's that have spent silly money on suspension and gained little or nothing over the Bilstein setup... Hence why I'd be happy running the Bilstein setup for the lesser cost.

But you need the setup expertise to go with it too, that's the advantage of the billies, they don't need any setting up, the disadvantage is - you can't set them up.

pdd144c
But you need the setup expertise to go with it too, that's the advantage of the billies, they don't need any setting up, the disadvantage is - you can't set them up.

Yes you can <_<

Rippthrough
Yes you can <_<

Not to the extent of an ohlins unit :D

pdd144c

Well if you're going to that extent you had better be racing your 306 or it will be a waste!

Sign in to follow this