• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
welshpug

Where/how To Relocate Oil Cooler On 1.9 Gti With Twinfans Fitted?

welshpug

Right then, got my second fan fitted and wired up, all works fine bar the resistor is dead, but the new problem is where the hell do i put the oilcooler?

where can I get hose and the correct fittings to place it somewhere useful?

p.s, I dont really want to take it off at all, but do want to keep my motor cool!

James_R

Never get the need for a twin fan set up? just put a lower temp switch on the single fan that's more than enough, think of the weight!!

James

Anthony

Just run a single fan (as said, no need/benefit from two) or run longer hoses and wedge the oil cooler behind the valance - the standard oil cooler is a waste of time in my opinion anyway (if that's what you're running) and I'd just remove it, but that's a whole other kettle of fish...

Grahamrally
Just run a single fan (as said, no need/benefit from two) or run longer hoses and wedge the oil cooler behind the valance - the standard oil cooler is a waste of time in my opinion anyway (if that's what you're running) and I'd just remove it, but that's a whole other kettle of fish...

Totally agree, I run a 13 Mocal cooler on a fast road 8v engine and rally it pretty hard. So far since fitting I've not seen the need for a fan at all as it only heats up that much on a stand still, so single would be more than enough. It's amazing how much a proper oil cooler can cool the engine to a very stable and workable temperature.

welshpug

thats the thing, oil coolers etc only work with airflow! as I live in cardiff I can often be sat in traffic for quite a while if I go out at the wrong time.

if a twin fan is't needed why does my 405 have one?? or a bog std non turbo Diesel 205? eh???

I'd rather have a cool motor than anything else..

on the other hand what's the part number for the lower temp rad fan and thermostat?

thanks for your input guys!

Anthony
thats the thing, oil coolers etc only work with airflow! as I live in cardiff I can often be sat in traffic for quite a while if I go out at the wrong time.

But given that oil temperature is a function of revs primarily, it wouldn't really matter if the oil cooler is getting airflow when in traffic or not as you'll only be crawling along. A single radiator fan is plenty sufficient to sit in traffic for hours in the height of summer and still keep the temperature stable.

James_R
But given that oil temperature is a function of revs primarily, it wouldn't really matter if the oil cooler is getting airflow when in traffic or not as you'll only be crawling along. A single radiator fan is plenty sufficient to sit in traffic for hours in the height of summer and still keep the temperature stable.

Well peugeot seemed to think so anyways :P

I've found my 13row cooler not big enough on tighter tracks in the UK, but fine for the ring :D

welshpug

ok, sod it, its coming off :D

anyone know the part number for the lower temp rad fan switch, thermostat and rad fan resistor? (i.e GSF or ECP if possible)

Grim.Badger
Right then, got my second fan fitted and wired up, all works fine bar the resistor is dead, but the new problem is where the hell do i put the oilcooler?

The bin <_< I ditched mine after the pipes rubbed against something and split. The only difference now is that my oil warms up slightly faster so I can enjoy the car sooner :D Makes no difference to final temperature on the road, track will obviously be different but that's another mater.

if a twin fan is't needed why does my 405 have one?? or a bog std non turbo Diesel 205? eh???

I don't know why the 405 has one, maybe it has worse airflow over the radiator, maybe they have AC more often. The diesel will have one because AFAIK the internal temperatures of a diesel are higher than a petrol, but the optimum temperature is lower, hence why they also have a larger coolant capacity (8 litres rather than the GTis 6 litres).

Sign in to follow this