• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest davetibbs

16v Head On 8v Turbo

Guest davetibbs

Did the original poster of this topic get anywhere? I'm looking at the possibilities of some serious upgrading of my XU10J2TE.

If not - as I remember the 16v head bolts straight onto the 8v turbo engine with all oil/waterways lining up - but are there other considerations? At the moment, I'm thinking along the lines of cams - problems with overlap etc...

Just trying to work out if it's worth 16v'ing my 8v turbo lump, or just sticking with 8v and going with that.

If I do decide to stick with 8v, I've read there are copies of the Turbo Technics manifolds - will these fit the XU10 engines? If so, where can I get them from?

Cheers for any help :D

easypug

I thought one of the major issues was the lack of second tensioner. There's a few people developing 16v turbos at the moment so if i was you i'd wait and see the outcome to these projects.

205 Parts sell the TT spec manifolds, IIRC they do fit the XU10 heads but im sure some one will confirm.

Guest davetibbs

Thanks for a speedy reply!!

As I understood it, the 8v turbo block that the OP was using actually had a threaded hole for the second tensioner.

I haven't checked mine yet...

How much are the TT copy manifolds? The 205parts website doesn't appear to say - I think this would dictate whether I go for that or the DP Engineering Love Collector.

Edited by davetibbs

sonofsam

205Parts Manifold is £280 ish.

peter

The dp manifold is around 325+ postage the tt replicas are 250 iirc,However if you upgrade this you need to change to a different turbo t25 etc wich means you have to change the downpipe and intake pipes and then it needs to be mapped so quite alot of work but it is a healthy increase in power.

Im also in two minds wether to stick with the 8v or go 16v because there is a similar amount of work involved (just the 16v parts are a bit more expecive)I think im going to go for the 16v option.

On my 2.0 turbo block the tensioner thred is all ready there.

Guest davetibbs

Thanks for the reply Peter, that's very handy. I'm tempted by the 16v option as it means I can use the gti6 inlet manifold, which looks the nuts and is apparently a good design as well (better than the 2.0 8v turbo inlet manifold!). I'm currently looking at adapting a gti6 inlet to fit the 8v turbo engine, by cutting and shutting it with the flange of a 2.0 8v turbo inlet manifold, but port spacings are completely different so it will be interesting!

Still wondering though if there are any cam considerations with going 16v - could I just get a 2.0 16v head and chuck it on with appropriate manifolds?

peter

I think if you are going to the trouble of cuting and welding inlet manifolds i would definatly go 16v.

As for cams the the engine would work with the standard cams still with a good increase in power however i dont think they are the best duration/overlap for a turbo engine.

It would be interesting to see what the actual difference between the s16 and t16 cams are,Infact all the differences, obviously the inlet exhust turbo etc is but what about the crank etc

Edit for previous; the 205 parts manifolds were on sale in a thread on the forum for 225gbp but there was no reply when i asked to buy one.

Cheers

28CRAIG

Paul from 205 parts dont come on here much i think he still has some in stock give him a call on 01162792057 (205 parts)

Guest davetibbs

Thanks again Peter

I know of a scrapyard that has a Xantia 2.0 16v in it near me, I may well enquire about the head.

Dunno where you could get info on cams - I remember a French (?) site that compared the 2.0 8v turbo cam to the 1.9 gti cam and concluded that it was possibly the laziest cam in any Peugeot engine! I assume this was intentional on the part of PSA as the cars this engine came in (XM,605,Xantia,406 etc) were never intended as performance cars, rather luxury tourers with smooth power delivery.

If we could find the specs online it'd be good to get a company to make up a set of t16-spec cams, bet it would cost less than buying them from Peugeot!

Sam

Dave, use S16 cams, they are a common upgrade in T16 engines anyway.

cybernck
It would be interesting to see what the actual difference between the s16 and t16 cams are,Infact all the differences, obviously the inlet exhust turbo etc is but what about the crank etc

do a search :D.

you'll find that only head and block casting and inlet valves are the same between S16 and T16 :D.

Sam

If anyone knows of a set of T16 exhaust valves for sale please let me know!

Edited by Sam

Guest davetibbs

When I said the port spacing and size was different between the gti-6 and the 8v turbo manifolds, I wasn't joking! (slightly damaged gti-6 manifold underneath)

DSCF0287.jpg

Still, surely throttle body size is worth the upgrade (and therefore the head upgrade) - gti-6 on the left

DSCF0288.jpg

Edited by davetibbs

petert
If anyone knows of a set of T16 exhaust valves for sale please let me know!

Why not buy some quality stainless race valves? They'd have to be cheaper than OEM.

Guest davetibbs

Have decided to go 16v ;)

Went to the scrappy today, as I remember seeing a Citroen Xantia with a 16v engine in - and what do you know:

IMAGE_00060-1.jpg

Looks like the S16 engine to me B) Perfect for cams etc

Snapped the head and inlet/exhaust manifolds up for £40 :)

Unfortunately the inlet manifold got a bit broken when we removed it :P but it's all good.

I'm going to paint the rocker covers and polish the gti6 inlet manifold next :)

Sign in to follow this